IBROX misfit Filip Sebo has told born-again Kyle Lafferty to seal his transformation from embarrassing flop to fans' favourite at Celtic Park on Tuesday.

Then become the most unlikely Rangers cult hero since himself!

Lafferty's highly-publicised gaffes on and off the pitch left Gers fans dismayed at the �£3.25million signing from Burnley.

But Sebo reckons Lafferty - for so long the butt of fans' jokes - resurrected his reputation last month with crucial goals against Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs.

Those three games saw Lafferty hit more SPL goals than Sebo managed in a calamitous 12-month Rangers career under Paul le Guen then Walter Smith following his �£1.85m transfer from Austria Vienna.

However it didn't prevent Sebo becoming the darling of the Light Blues brigade three years ago as they took the Slovakian striker to their hearts.

Now Sebo says Laff must seize the opportunity to do the same against Celtic.

Sebo, now at French club Valenciennes, said: "The club spent a lot of money on Kyle, almost double what they paid for me, but it's fair to say he's found it hard to justify that price tag.

"I have more sympathy for him than anyone because no one knows better than me how difficult it is trying to make a career at a massive club like Rangers.

"I didn't find it easy. I was a new player, I was young and inexperienced and the club had a new manager in Paul le Guen.

"The fans were amazing towards me, but they were not blind. They could see it just wasn't working and I wasn't scoring a lot of goals.

"I know the rules when you are a striker - it's only about the goals. People can talk about the work you're doing for the team, how unselfish you are.

"But the bottom line is you have to score goals and I only scored two.

"That was it. I was finished. I don't look back and blame Walter Smith, Paul le Guen or anybody else.

"It's the law of football, the way it is.

"Fortunately Kyle looks as if he is overcoming his problems. He has scored some big goals recently, against Aberdeen and Hearts.

"More importantly he scored the goal against Hibs which delivered the title - the Rangers fans won't forget that goal for a long time.

I have one thing which Kyle would love to have

"Now he has the opportunity to create an even stronger bond with the fans if he can score or produce a great performance against Celtic.

"If the fans take to him the way they did with me he will have earned something very special indeed."

Sebo says the greatest thing about achieving cult status with Rangers fans is it's a lifetime award!

He said: "I have one thing which Kyle would love to have - the Rangers fans will never forget my name and that's special to me.

"They gave me strength when I was in Scotland. I didn't bring my best form to the games, but the fans were on my side every time, cheering my name.

"Even now, three years after I left Scotland, the fans send me lots of emails and messages. They still keep in touch and that is amazing.

"It was a once-in-a-lifetime chance for me to play for a big club like Rangers. It didn't work out and it didn't last much more than a year and yet the fans still keep in touch with me.

"I feel I have a special bond with them. Don't ask me why we hit it off, you would have to ask the Rangers fans.

"But in my opinion it was because I tried to give everything I had for them. I didn't leave one part of myself out on the pitch at the end of a game.

"Even if I was only given five minutes on the park I wanted to give everything I had for them. In return they sang my name and encouraged me when they could just as easily have turned against me."

Gers fans did turn on Lafferty after he failed to impress in a wide left role, then bragged about his lifestyle, earnings and his Bentley car in a misguided attempt to dismiss stories he couldn't pay an overdue debt.

Sebo's approach on his website is rather different - saying he drives a company car!

With Lafferty's Ibrox career finally showing signs of taking off, Sebo says the most important lesson the Northern Ireland striker can learn is to keep his feet on the ground in future.

He said: "I do have a company car - from our club sponsors Toyota.

"Of course I have my private car as well, but I don't speak about it because that is my private life.

"I prefer to be modest. It's just the way I am.

"I don't like to boast and talk to the press about money, about cars about houses as Kyle did.

"We all have the right to a private life and footballers are fortunate because a lot of us enjoy a very good lifestyle.

"Maybe we enjoy the lifestyle a little too much at times!

"But I don't think it's nice to speak publicly about things like this or show them off.

"It's not my way. So when I was in Glasgow I had my club Honda, here in Valenciennes I have my club Toyota, and I'm happy with that.

"Kyle has probably learned the hard way that it's better to be modest because we do have a lot of privileges some fans will never be fortunate enough to share.

"In football the bigger the club, the bigger the pressure and Rangers is a very big club.

"If you can't provide success for the club there has to be change.

"At big clubs you don't have time to adapt and get there eventually. You have to make things happen right away.

"The pressure's the same for a striker or any big-money signing as it is for a manager.

"If you are not successful immediately then don't be surprised if you're asked to leave."

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/scottish/scottish_sport/801270/Filip-Sebo-says-Gers-ace-wont-be-Laffing-stock-for-much-longer.html

There's no real comparison between the two imo. Lafferty has talent, Sebo doesn't

I was expecting Lafferty to be saying that about himelf. He's that big a bawheed.

Does he? I have yet to see Lafferty show any sort of talent for us.

I think they're very much similar players, but maybe Lafferty slightly better than Sebo.

Guest Flying Hippo

Sebo is the biggest joke i've ever seen in a Rangers jersey. Anyone remember when we started him at Celtic Park (the Ehiogu game) and he spent the whole game just charging around like a demented bull, fouling defenders constantly and always being offside? How he ever became a professional footballer is beyond me

Lafferty has pace and power and a decent finish on him. He'll have a decent career, even if it isn't at Ibrox

Sebo is the biggest joke i've ever seen in a Rangers jersey. Anyone remember when we started him at Celtic Park (the Ehiogu game) and he spent the whole game just charging around like a demented bull, fouling defenders constantly and always being offside? How he ever became a professional footballer is beyond me

you could substitute any number of players names and agree with your statement , in the last 10 years we have signed umpteen Sebo / lafferty's and until we get our scouting sorted we will carry on signing them , Lafferty will never cut it at Rangers long term .

Lafferty has pace and power and a decent finish on him. He'll have a decent career, even if it isn't at Ibrox

Lafferty tries but so did Sebo.

Lets hope it isn't at Ibrox.