Guest Flying Hippo

I think Thommo is another one who'd benefit from 3 in a midfield. He was fantastic alongside Ferguson and Hemdani. Never been quite so good playing in a 4-4-2

Yeah, I'd like to see a 4-3-3 next season and it wouldn't surprise me if it happens as Smith will be keen to use a 4-5-1 in Europe once more.

Interestingly we played quite well with a 4-5-1 in the second half of the Celtic game last week. With the right personnel and the right tactics, it can work as long as we're not overly defensive.

We just need to fill the Caniggia/de Boer/Arveladze/Lovenkrands roles a bit better. Fleck/Naismith/Lafferty/Wylde doesn't quite have the same threat.

:)

Brown is not a better player than Thomson. Both are equally inconsistent have neither has lived up to their fee.

I'm just grateful we didn't pay the �£4.2million fee and �£25K p/week wages for Brown.

Guest Flying Hippo
Brown is probably Celtic's only good player. Decent player in a shite side.

Go over to Kerrydale Street and see if they agree with you

I know virtually no Celtic fan who rates Brown

Guest Flying Hippo
Brown is not a better player than Thomson. Both are equally inconsistent have neither has lived up to their fee.

I'm just grateful we didn't pay the �£4.2million fee and �£25K p/week wages for Brown.

I think that's pretty harsh on Thommo tbh. Of the players we've spent �£2 million or above on since Walter's return, he would almost certainly go down as the 4th most effective after Cuellar, Davis and Bougherra (some may argue McCulloch too but i'd say Thomson has been the better signing overall)

Certainly better value for money than Whittaker (though i do rate him), Naismith, Lafferty, Edu (again, i rate him but he's very injury prone)

I maybe was a bit harsh - especially when you factor in Thomson's knee injury - but I just expect a lot more from the player as I always felt he was the best prospect Hibs had ever since he cynically tripped Barry Ferguson and sneered at him when he still had longer hair! ;)

�£2million is a lot of money for any Scottish player and most have struggled to justify the fee. Thomson, Whittaker and Naismith are all capable of doing so but the jury remains out on all three for a variety of reasons. Of course they'll point to 2 league titles since they joined but more is required in my view!

To be fair to Strachan if players like Adam, Dorrans, Burke, Robson et al can do well in the Championship and if guys like Fletcher and Stephen Thompson can score in the EPL, then the Scottish market may be quite fruitful for him... ;)