Guest Flying Hippo

We shouldn't be "searching"

We should've had a list of targets drawn up months ago and initial talks already held with their clubs. I've known Boyd was leaving for 4 months, as has the club, and Novo also made it clear months ago that he wouldn't accept the terms offered to him

I fear another summer 2003 scenario where we start scraping the bottom of the barrel for panic buys

Over the last decade, our best signings have always tended to be ones we've signed very early in the summer (sometimes even before the previous season has ended) like Mols, Boumsong, Prso, Novo, Hemdani, Cuellar, with the obvious conclusion that we've planned these signings months in advance. Davis and Bougherra are another two who were planned months before the deals were actually concluded. Compare all the aforementioned players impacts to last gasp signings like Vanoli, Ostenstad, Jeffers, Bernard, Emerson, and Rothen

Edited by Flying Hippo

The names we're being linked with are borderline embarrassing.

Borderline? They are embarrassing, none of them good enough imo, Miller, Smith etc.

We shouldn't be "searching"

We should've had a list of targets drawn up months ago and initial talks already held with their clubs. I've known Boyd was leaving for 4 months, as has the club, and Novo also made it clear months ago that he wouldn't accept the terms offered to him

I fear another summer 2003 scenario where we start scraping the bottom of the barrel for panic buys

Over the last decade, our best signings have always tended to be ones we've signed very early in the summer (sometimes even before the previous season has ended) like Mols, Boumsong, Prso, Novo, Hemdani, Cuellar, with the obvious conclusion that we've planned these signings months in advance. Davis and Bougherra are another two who were planned months before the deals were actually concluded. Compare all the aforementioned players impacts to last gasp signings like Vanoli, Ostenstad, Jeffers, Bernard, Emerson, and Rothen

We weren't sure what the bank were going to put forward in terms of funds. Also we were not totally sure players would leave. Also add to the fact the manager didn't commit and therefore targets weren't being actively sought after.

Guest Flying Hippo

All true but it's not good enough frankly. Also, it's not like we needed 2 different lists of targets. No league title would've meant no signings at all

Borderline? They are embarrassing, none of them good enough imo, Miller, Smith etc.

We weren't sure what the bank were going to put forward in terms of funds. Also we were not totally sure players would leave. Also add to the fact the manager didn't commit and therefore targets weren't being actively sought after.

I take your point, but surely we should be planning for all eventualities ie if so and so leaves and we have x budget we will go for this guy, but if the budget is y then we go for this guy. Even though funds haven't been forthcoming doesn't mean we stop scouting. In fact i'd say scouting for us was more important than ever as we can't afford to make mistakes with any potential signings.

Personally I think Nugent would be a good signing but I doubt we have the funds for that one. David Suazo from Inter (Honduras striker) might be more realistic and I think he is out of contract.

Good target, maybe. In our price range, no.

Perhaps not on a bosman?

What about Lille striker Pierre Alain Frau? 14 goals in Ligue 1 last season.

He would be on �£50k a week at least, doesn't matter if Inter never totally rated him, he would be on a stupid wage. Plus he is over 30 and wouldn't justify the wage.

He would tear up this league but wouldn't be value for money.

Not sure about the French guy.