Portuguese champions Benfica could move for Rangers goalkeeper Allan McGregor.

An agent, claiming to work on behalf of the Lisbon club, has been in contact with McGregor's representative to alert him to their interest.

Scott Hume told BBC Scotland the agent informed him Benfica were preparing an offer for the 28-year-old.

He also suggested Sporting Lisbon had been watching the player, who has three years remaining on his current contract and would command a transfer fee.

Rangers manager Walter Smith has money to spend this summer, but he may be tempted to sell McGregor if a suitable offer is received to increase those funds, particularly with Neil Alexander still at the club.

Benfica, who won the Portuguese title by five points last season ahead of second-placed Braga, had three goalkeepers vying for the number one jersey during a successful campaign.

Thirty-four-year-old Portuguese veteran Quim, compatriot Jose Moreira and Brazilian Julio Cesar all featured for the champions in their domestic and Europa League campaign last season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8737585.stm

Is it normal for a club to use an agent to talk to another agent when a player is in contract? Is this how it works?

Seems to be the way nowadays...

Agents run transfers mate! Just ask McLies!

Probably bullshit,but if it is true then I would want a big fee for him,if Gordon went for �£9m then surely McGregor is worth around the same??. I'd rather keep him but if we got a good offer and WS was to get the lot to reinvest in the squad then it could be a good thing.

Probably bullshit,but if it is true then I would want a big fee for him,if Gordon went for �£9m then surely McGregor is worth around the same??. I'd rather keep him but if we got a good offer and WS was to get the lot to reinvest in the squad then it could be a good thing.

Are you just saying that because you didnt report it?? :spl: ;)

But your right, if Gordon went for 9 million then Mcgregor has to have the same price tag. There isnt much between the 2 TBH. The debate of those 2 is quite similar to Goram and Leighton although not in the same class.

Frankie is an experienced keeper, would be interesting to know who he rates better.

EDIT - I think its a shame Gordon's career has went downhill since he moved to Sunderland. I do think its down to injuries yet he will be classed in the Russell Anderson catergory as a Scot who failed down south. I hope he comes back and proves everyone wrong. Fine keeper IMO.

Edited by Gribz

Guest Flying Hippo

There's no argument for Gordon being better than McGregor imo. In 3 years at Sunderland, he's never had a whole season as number 1. Hypothetical but i just couldn't see Shagger regularly dropped for months on end for Marton Fulop

Are you just saying that because you didnt report it?? :spl: ;)

But your right, if Gordon went for 9 million then Mcgregor has to have the same price tag. There isnt much between the 2 TBH. The debate of those 2 is quite similar to Goram and Leighton although not in the same class.

Frankie is an experienced keeper, would be interesting to know who he rates better.

EDIT - I think its a shame Gordon's career has went downhill since he moved to Sunderland. I do think its down to injuries yet he will be classed in the Russell Anderson catergory as a Scot who failed down south. I hope he comes back and proves everyone wrong. Fine keeper IMO.

That IS the reason I never posted it:).

I'm not saying we should get the same as Gordon went for,as I do think Gordon is better, just that we don't need to sell him,shagger has more CL experience and we should not give him away on the cheap

There's no argument for Gordon being better than McGregor imo. In 3 years at Sunderland, he's never had a whole season as number 1. Hypothetical but i just couldn't see Shagger regularly dropped for months on end for Marton Fulop

Gordon was first choice keeper for the whole of last season.

Gordon had loads of injuries and Fulop kept his place because Gordon wasn't fully fit.

I would happily take between �£5m-�£6m for McGregor as he still probably has some baggage.

Personally I hope to retain Mcgregor as much as Bougherra. They are our 2 big game players (Davis is also) and as good as a No.2 Alexander is - thats all he is - a good back up.

McGregor is capable of Goram-esk saves.