John Fleck has revealed he has started back pre-season training weeks ahead of schedule in a bid to make a major impact at Rangers this season.

The 18-year-old has been back at a deserted Murray Park this summer, working on his own to help improve his fitness levels ahead of the new campaign.

Walter Smith�s players aren�t expected back for pre-season training until July 5 ahead of their trip to Australia and Fleck is so determined to hit the ground running that he is doing rigorous workouts on his own.

Fleck said: ââ?¬Å?Iââ?¬â?¢ve been back up to Murray Park between a couple of breaks to work on my fitness levels and hopefully get myself ahead of the game.

ââ?¬Å?I want to give myself as good a chance as possible to impress and hopefully force my way into the team more this season.

ââ?¬Å?I have been doing some running around the complex as well as some gym work.

ââ?¬Å?There isnââ?¬â?¢t anyone around the place as most people are away on holiday and doing different things.

ââ?¬Å?You obviously have to have a rest and Iââ?¬â?¢ll have another short break now before getting stuck back into it again.

ââ?¬Å?Iââ?¬â?¢m sure most of the lads will be doing bits and pieces on their own anyway and youââ?¬â?¢ve got to look after yourself during the summer.

ââ?¬Å?We are always given instructions and things we can do to take away with us at the end of the season.

ââ?¬Å?But the more fitness work I can get under my belt this summer, the better condition I will be in for the start of pre-season training.

ââ?¬Å?I know itââ?¬â?¢s a big season for me and I want to give myself the best possible chance of doing well.

ââ?¬Å?Iââ?¬â?¢ve now had a couple of seasons under my belt in the first-team and Iââ?¬â?¢ve obviously made a number of appearances and played in some big matches, including the Old Firm, so Iââ?¬â?¢ve now got a bit of experience behind me.

ââ?¬Å?But I want to be as successful as possible and put myself as strong a position as I possibly can for the beginning of the season.ââ?¬Â

Like every young player, Fleck is desperate to make an impact and isn�t content to simply make up the numbers within the Rangers squad.

It is that attitude and determination, combined with natural ability, that has made his manager Walter Smith consistently refer to him as a huge talent and someone he believes will go on to become a top player for the Light Blues.

Although he has been in and around the first-team for a couple of years now, Fleck is still awaiting the opportunity to become a regular but the youngster appreciates it is easier said than done when you are coming through the ranks as a major club.

ââ?¬Å?I think people have to try and appreciate how difficult it is for a young player to break into the first-team at Rangers and stay in the team every week,ââ?¬Â explained Fleck.

ââ?¬Å?The manager has always said, in regard to both myself and Danny Wilson, that there would be times when weââ?¬â?¢d be left out the team as he felt it would be in our best interests and that is what has happened.

ââ?¬Å?There is a massive pressure and expectation on the team to win every single game and win trophies and it was fantastic that we managed to win the SPL title and the League Cup last term.

ââ?¬Å?To be involved in that is a truly wonderful experience for the likes of myself.

ââ?¬Å?Like any player, I want to play as often as possible and Iââ?¬â?¢m just looking forward to getting back into pre-season training, getting as fit as possible and then hopefully do my talking on the park and help the team build on last seasonââ?¬â?¢s success.ââ?¬Â

The good news for Rangers is that Fleck has already committed his long-term future to the club having penned a new three-year deal towards the end of last term and he is thrilled at having his future resolved.

He said: ââ?¬Å?I was delighted to get everything sorted out in regard to my contract as it allows me to focus fully on my football.

ââ?¬Å?Talks were ongoing for quite some time, which is often the case, and there was some speculation at the time that I was perhaps looking to move on ââ?¬â?? nothing could have been further from the truth.

ââ?¬Å?It was always my intention to sign a new deal with Rangers.ââ?¬Â

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks/john-fleck-s-summer-plan-to-get-him-ahead-of-the-game-for-rangers-1.1036750

Big season for Fleck this year...

We really have to hope he shows the quality required to make him an essential player!

Aye. It's a big season for the lad,we all know he has the talent and he has not reached his potential, this season he could do just that and that will give us all a wee lift if he succeeds.

An encouraging read. He seems finally to be realising what it takes to become a top football player. Not saying he didn't realise it before, but there were too many stories of him going out on the lash with the likes of Shagger McGregor et al, to make me think he was letting the fame and fortune of his early promise, go to his head.

Fingers crossed he is a massive player for us next season! A full Scotland cap would not be too far away either!

Fleck is going to show what all the hype has been about, no doubt in my mind. We're going to be lucky to hold on to him in the long run because I honestly think big clubs are going to come in for him within the next couple of years. People will no doubt say they've been disappointed and still haven't seen anything great from him, but mark my word - he's total class and he'll show it.

Fleck is going to show what all the hype has been about, no doubt in my mind. We're going to be lucky to hold on to him in the long run because I honestly think big clubs are going to come in for him within the next couple of years. People will no doubt say they've been disappointed and still haven't seen anything great from him, but mark my word - he's total class and he'll show it.

Agreed Zappa. He is one young player with undoubted talent, hopefully this season he finally arrives in the Rangers 1st team

I hope you're right Zappa.

I think the lad does have talent but for a variety of reasons has been unable to really show it enough so far to hold down a first team slot. Perhaps the main one is that his preferred position is in a free role just off the striker(s) and he's not been played enough there.

It may need a change of system to accommodate him which is unlikely under Walter. As such the lad will have to alter his game to maximise his chances of playing regularly.

Aye. It's a big season for the lad,we all know he has the talent and he has not reached his potential, this season he could do just that and that will give us all a wee lift if he succeeds.

he hasnt had a chance to reach his potential yet. when he gets a full season under his belt we will be in a better place to judge him.

its a very big season for everything at rangers, not just fleck. all the players will have to stand up and be counted, there is no room for failure. It will be interesting though to see how many of the youngsters actually do feature under smith, who has paid them scant atention in the past.

John Fleck MUST be allowed to play centrally, behind the main striker. He is comfortable with his back to goal and can drop either shoulder. We will see the best of him in that position.

I liked Charlie Adam, watched him coming through our youth ranks, always a heads up player. The vast majority of his first team games were wide left of the midfield. John Fleck is mostly starting in this position too. I understand every player has to submit to the overall benefit of the team, but we risk exposing Fleck to the same pressures that broke Adam.

I hope Fleck does not have to leave Rangers to realise his true potential.