Walter Smith's reasons for staying

Johnston, like Bain, won't take any important decisions without the approval of Murray.

Sure, because of Murray's own problem's, they may have had a bit more leeway than usual in terms of a few comments to the media and fans, but generally speaking Sir David Murray remains in charge and nothing will be done without his input.

It is beyond time the fans had a part in this decision-making given the comments of the chairman/Bain in recent months. We need to focus on this and apply some pressure. Murray will remain the key to any access so he should be the target of any points we wish to make.

I'm hopeful we'll see some movement on this in the coming weeks/months.

Johnston, like Bain, won't take any important decisions without the approval of Murray.

Sure, because of Murray's own problem's, they may have had a bit more leeway than usual in terms of a few comments to the media and fans, but generally speaking Sir David Murray remains in charge and nothing will be done without his input.

It is beyond time the fans had a part in this decision-making given the comments of the chairman/Bain in recent months. We need to focus on this and apply some pressure. Murray will remain the key to any access so he should be the target of any points we wish to make.

I'm hopeful we'll see some movement on this in the coming weeks/months.

''Hopeful'' as in ?? Heard anything Frankie ?

I'm hopeful because more and more people are getting frustrated with the status quo.

To be clear, IMHO, direct, aggressive protest won't work. The majority don't agree with such methods, are apathetic to the situation or simply feel we're still competitive enough as a club. Indeed, it could be argued that without efficiency savings we've seen the club will have no future.

However, there are other, more constructive methods of making our point as we are right to be concerned.

Over the last year or so the club chairman and CEO have been at pains to make clear how important the fans are - emotionally and financially. Yet, still and disgracefully, we are not involved in the decision-making process despite the unfulfilled promises of SDM in 2007. Worse, we're fobbed off with prevarications about the direction of the club and its associated problems.

Our support are the largest annual financial investors into the club and are surely entitled to a bit of transparency about the overall situation while being able to contribute at board level to its strategy.

That is the point we need to make as the Rangers family - together - should be aware of what is needed to keep the club successful while sharing information to find and maintain investment going forward.

Protesting outside the front door or the offices of MIH in Edinburgh isn't (IMO) the best way of achieving that. Coming together as a support and placing pressure that way is.

I invite every Rangers fan to do their part in that - and specifically look to our fan leaders (be it websites, fanzines, shareholder groups or RSCs) to take the lead therein. I'm doing my own small part to try and facilitate further debate between these parties.

While that not be the ideal route to take it is one of the few avenues available for us to examine when we look for methods of club improvement.

I'm hopeful because more and more people are getting frustrated with the status quo.

To be clear, IMHO, direct, aggressive protest won't work. The majority don't agree with such methods, are apathetic to the situation or simply feel we're still competitive enough as a club. Indeed, it could be argued that without efficiency savings we've seen the club will have no future.

However, there are other, more constructive methods of making our point as we are right to be concerned.

Over the last year or so the club chairman and CEO have been at pains to make clear how important the fans are - emotionally and financially. Yet, still and disgracefully, we are not involved in the decision-making process despite the unfulfilled promises of SDM in 2007. Worse, we're fobbed off with prevarications about the direction of the club and its associated problems.

Our support are the largest annual financial investors into the club and are surely entitled to a bit of transparency about the overall situation while being able to contribute at board level to its strategy.

That is the point we need to make as the Rangers family - together - should be aware of what is needed to keep the club successful while sharing information to find and maintain investment going forward.

Protesting outside the front door or the offices of MIH in Edinburgh isn't (IMO) the best way of achieving that. Coming together as a support and placing pressure that way is.

I invite every Rangers fan to do their part in that - and specifically look to our fan leaders (be it websites, fanzines, shareholder groups or RSCs) to take the lead therein. I'm doing my own small part to try and facilitate further debate between these parties.

While that not be the ideal route to take it is one of the few avenues available for us to examine when we look for methods of club improvement.

Don't hold your breath Frankie.

#1 Yesterday, 15:07

davidrst

Is this it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A text I got today asked me that.

The answer, sadly, is yes.

I've been banging on for months, years even, about what the future held for us. The many people out there who dislike the Trust or think I'm an attention-seeker decried it, pointed to the league, pointed to Ellis, ridiculed, laughed and pointed some more.

We said in Jan 09 that the club was being run into the ground. The levels of vitriol turned on the Trust, and me personally, was astonishing. Some brain donors even asked how me how I felt about us winning the league as 'that had showed me'.

I hate to say I told you so, and to be fair to most of the people on FF, there is no need to, as you guys were saying the same.

Thing is, every time we said the situation would deteriorate, it did.

This is the situation for the forseeable future. There is no new buyer and no chance of one in the immediate future. The Trust continues to work towards fan ownership, but there isn't strong fan support for it so it's a long road ahead.

First-team players will be sold and replaced with cheaper players. Young players will make up a large percentage of the first team squad. That squad, incidentally, will be made up of 14-18 senior pros and kids.

We need supporters cash just to keep going. Simply put, Rangers are running to stand still financially.

There's no point moaning, though. This is it.

Yes, I read that and I can't say David's lack of enthusiasm surprises me. He's been around the Trust now for 5 years or more so I don't blame him for coming across a bit tired. But he's resigning in the next month or two anyway so in many ways his opinion is moot.

I'm sure others on the RST board (old and new members alike) are interested in examining ways of improving their organisation's profile and reputation by pooling resources and finding a route through these tough times.

I'd urge every bear to have a think about what they'd like to see happen and ask themselves what is possible in today's climate.

I'd urge every bear to have a think about what they'd like to see happen and ask themselves what is possible in today's climate.

I think we have to entertain the possibility that the current state is inevitable, and that Rangers will never be able to speak with anything like one voice under any circumstances - no matter how extreme. Getting a fan elected onto the board wouldn't and wouldn't have made any difference. I think it's a good thing that we're not kid-on united like Celtic fans, and that there isn't one Accepted View of any given situation, but I just think things are just going to pan out with no plan wherever the current takes us until we're taken over, which itself probably wont be for years.

I think we have to entertain the possibility that the current state is inevitable, and that Rangers will never be able to speak with anything like one voice under any circumstances - no matter how extreme. Getting a fan elected onto the board wouldn't and wouldn't have made any difference. I think it's a good thing that we're not kid-on united like Celtic fans, and that there isn't one Accepted View of any given situation, but I just think things are just going to pan out with no plan wherever the current takes us until we're taken over, which itself probably wont be for years.

Mate,

I don't expect everyone to have the same opinion but in some issues it is good to have a united front (publicly at least) to ensure our lobbying is effective.

As it stands we're making little difference by arguing with each other and not having anything united/organised to buy into - literally.

We can alter our destiny but we'll all have to be a bit more humble if we're to do so.