Rangers bid for Croatian hitman Jelavic

Nikica Jelavic has been subject to a bid from Rangers, according to Rapid Vienna�s sporting director Alfred Hoertnagl. The Croatian forward, who was linked with a move to Celtic in the January transfer window, has been attracting interest from Blackburn Rovers this summer.

Hoertnagl told Austrian newspaper Kronen Zeitung on Monday Rangersââ?¬â?¢ bid for 24-year-old Jelavic was ââ?¬Å?not practicalââ?¬Â, before confirming the offer made by the SPL title holders, the amount of which is unknown, was short of Rapidsââ?¬â?¢ valuation.

6ft 2in Jelavic, who moved to Austria from Belgian club Zulte Waregem in 2008, scored against Celtic three times across their two Europa League matches last year. The Croatian scored Rapid�s goal in their 1-1 draw in Glasgow, before scoring twice in the first eight minutes of the 3-3 draw in Vienna.

Capped five times by his country, Jelavic has just one year left to run on his contract. He scored 18 times in 33 league matches last campaign, finding the net nine times in 12 Europa League games.

This season he has continued his scoring form in Europe, scoring twice against Lithuanians Suduva Marijampole in the second qualifying round of the Europa League in a 6-2 aggregate victory.

Because of his involvement in European competition already this season, Jelavic would not be eligible to play in the Champions League for Rangers unless they reached the last 16.

Uefa rules forbid players playing for more than one club across both of its club competitions, except for the knockout stages, where a player can represent another side provided his previous club did not take part in the same tournament.

Don't understand why we would buy someone who is not eligible for the champions league or Europa league games if we drop into it! If this is true do u think walter is maybe just writing off the champs league this season and concentrating in going for the league in his swansong season?

It was reported by stv news frankie who are usually very reliable!

I don't doubt the rumour itself, just that the club would be interested in a player who'd be unavailable for any Euro games we have.

:)

I don't doubt the rumour itself, just that the club would be interested in a player who'd be unavailable for any Euro games we have.

:)

Totally agree, don't see why would sign a player ineligible for European football!

I just took it straight off stv news website!

Yes I know mate , I aint blaming you . They have done this before , also the quote's about euro participation have been lifted from that report as well , and I am not 100 % sure they are accurate . I am trying to find out just now