Rangers bid for Croatian hitman Jelavic

If he's a good player then quite frankly I don't give a hoot whether he's eligible for the CL. We need a team capable of winning the league and qualifying for next seasons CL. The CL to us nowadays is nothing more than a source of income and I'd be content to see Miller and Lafferty playing midweek with this fella kept fit for the SPL.

Having said all that it seems we've gone in with an offer well below their valuation so I'd be surprised if this was a goer - unless we do a Sebo and slowly increase our offer to what they actually want.

Finally, how accurate is the report that because he's played a Europa League qualifier he's ineligible for the CL - different competitions I thought.

If he's a good player then quite frankly I don't give a hoot whether he's eligible for the CL. We need a team capable of winning the league and qualifying for next seasons CL. The CL to us nowadays is nothing more than a source of income and I'd be content to see Miller and Lafferty playing midweek with this fella kept fit for the SPL.

Having said all that it seems we've gone in with an offer well below their valuation so I'd be surprised if this was a goer - unless we do a Sebo and slowly increase our offer to what they actually want.

Finally, how accurate is the report that because he's played a Europa League qualifier he's ineligible for the CL - different competitions I thought.

With such a, erm, stream-lined squad; we can ill-afford players only to be available for certain games.

Every player needs to be available as often as possible or the burden on guys like Davis, Miller and Bougherra will simply be too great.

I'd like to think there are players of sufficient quality available that can play in Europe for us - as well as the SPL. Conversely I don't want the key guys playing in every game either but we need to have a squad that can compete no matter the competition.

This is lifted directly from UEFA'S guidance to clubs , it's from the Europa league regulations section X , page 26

http://ua.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/competitions/UEFACup/84/52/89/845289_DOWNLOAD.pdf

18.07 As a rule, a player may not play in a UEFA club competition (i.e. UEFA

Champions League and UEFA Europa League, but not UEFA Super Cup) for

more than one club in the course of the same season. Exceptionally,

however, a player who has been fielded in the first, second or third qualifying

round of the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League is entitled to

play in the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League for another

club as from the group stage, provided that his former club did not qualify for

the group phase of either the UEFA Champions League or the UEFA Europa

League; moreover, as from the start of the round of 32 (round of 16 for UEFA

Champions League), a player can be registered in accordance with

paragraphs 18.17 to 18.20 below. For the avoidance of doubt, a substitute

player who has not been fielded is entitled to play for another club competing

in the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League in the course of

the same season, provided that he is registered with the UEFA

administration in accordance with the present regulations.

I tend to agree with Stevanovich on this one. If he's a player we want to have longer term, and we have a chance of getting him, regardless of the possibility of him being ineligble for the CL (rbr's post aside), I say go for it! I take the point about needing a full squad to pick from, but would it really be so bad if we had a striker ready to roll at the weekend having had an enforced rest during the week?

He was quite good against them and seems to be decent enough. Shame about the CL ineligibility but I would have him if the money was right. He is in his last year of his contract as well so they shouldn't be able to hold out for stupid money and he plays in Austria not a hugely attractive league.

He was quite good against them and seems to be decent enough. Shame about the CL ineligibility but I would have him if the money was right. He is in his last year of his contract as well so they shouldn't be able to hold out for stupid money and he plays in Austria not a hugely attractive league.

He is only 24 so u would have to think good sell on value aswell if he does come and do job! Also seen in the daily record today that were after James Beattie I think he would score goals up here but he is 32 and think Stoke was looking for about 1.5 mil which is a bit pricey for a 32 year old!

He is only 24 so u would have to think good sell on value aswell if he does come and do job! Also seen in the daily record today that were after James Beattie I think he would score goals up here but he is 32 and think Stoke was looking for about 1.5 mil which is a bit pricey for a 32 year old!

That is a must with me as well young enough to have a good sell on value. Beattie, Harewood and Healy do not. Eagles would have if he joined but he didn't. I don't think his wage would be huge although he may want a huge wage but in current times I can't see him coming to us, sadly :(.

This is lifted directly from UEFA'S guidance to clubs , it's from the Europa league regulations section X , page 26

http://ua.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/competitions/UEFACup/84/52/89/845289_DOWNLOAD.pdf

18.07 As a rule, a player may not play in a UEFA club competition (i.e. UEFA

Champions League and UEFA Europa League, but not UEFA Super Cup) for

more than one club in the course of the same season. Exceptionally,

however, a player who has been fielded in the first, second or third qualifying

round of the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League is entitled to

play in the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League for another

club as from the group stage, provided that his former club did not qualify for

the group phase of either the UEFA Champions League or the UEFA Europa

League; moreover, as from the start of the round of 32 (round of 16 for UEFA

Champions League), a player can be registered in accordance with

paragraphs 18.17 to 18.20 below. For the avoidance of doubt, a substitute

player who has not been fielded is entitled to play for another club competing

in the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League in the course of

the same season, provided that he is registered with the UEFA

administration in accordance with the present regulations.

That was what I had thought the rule was, so yet again sloppy journos who cant be bothered to check facts.

Basically if the guy plays in the qualys for the diddy cup with one team, then signs for the mighty to play in the big boys cup, he is eligable as long as his original team is out of europe.

With 2 rounds to go before the group stages of both cups, there is obviously a chance that he would be eligable to play for the Scottish Champions in the big boys cup group stages.

Dont know if the guy is any good, and was too busy laughing when his team scored against timmy last season to really notice one player, but as usual you read a story about a player we have bid for, with nothing but negativity surrounding it.

Totally agree, don't see why would sign a player ineligible for European football!

dont see what the problem is here...now we have the oppertunity to play kyle lafferty in his proper position!:fish: