Rangers bid for Croatian hitman Jelavic

Singing another striker leans me to thinking WS will go with a 4-3-3 the same as we started against Blackburn and use Lafferty and Naismith as our wider guys and have Miller through the middle and perhaps Jelavic and any new striker as back up to Miller.

I dont mind Naismith and Lafferty coming wider in a 4-3-3 as they dont have to play like natural wingers and dont have to hug the touch line.

Naismith did well in the inside right position and with Davis and Edu running things in the middle the team had good shape.

3 signings who are capable of walking straight into the starting XI is still required though.

Guest hutch42

Hi people just signed up and looking forward to the new season just thought i would post a wee hello to you all.Look forward to sharing the highs and lows with you all WE ARE THE PEOPLE.

Hi people just signed up and looking forward to the new season just thought i would post a wee hello to you all.Look forward to sharing the highs and lows with you all WE ARE THE PEOPLE.

Welcome to the forum hutch! :)

RANGERS target Nikica Jelavic last night begged Rapid Vienna to let him join the SPL champs.

Ibrox boss Walter Smith has already had an offer of �£2million plus add-ons rejected by Rapid Vienna for the Croat hitman.

Jelavic, 24, has now told Rapid he wants to quit Austria for Ibrox and Gers will this week put together a new deal which could eventually rise to �£3.5m.

Jelavic said: "I was informed about Rangers' interest in me and I really want to go."Rapid are a great side and I have enjoyed my time here but I have paid them back well with goals and I deserve the chance to go. It has always been my dream to play in Britain and Rangers are a big club with tradition. I would love to play there."

Gers chief executive Martin Bain has been locked in talks with Rapid for over a week.

They have so far rejected all bids for the striker, who scored at Celtic Park in last season's Europa League. Jelavic will lead the Rapid attack in a Europa League qualifier tomorrow.

If Rapid lose the tie Jelavic could still play for Gers in the Champions League.

If the Austrians win, and also win in the knockout round, he'll be cup-tied for the Champions League.

Gers could gamble on Rapid losing in the knockout round, where they WON'T be seeded, but it's understood the SPL champs feel they can't wait to see if Rapid progress to the group phase.

Boss Smith is determined Jelavic will lead the Gers attack in the Champions League and could increase the bid to �£3.5m to secure his signature.

From the Sun

Dado Prso wants Rangers to land Croatian countryman Nikica Jelavic ââ?¬â?? as he is custom-made for the SPL. The former fansââ?¬â?¢ hero knows all about Walter Smithââ?¬â?¢s pursuit of the Rapid Vienna frontman, who has pleaded with his club to sell him to the Ibrox side.

"I think he would be a very good signing for Rangers because he is a very good player," Prso said. "He is a powerful player and a strong player, he is not afraid to challenge defenders when the ball is in the air.

"He has a good mentality and you have to be like that to perform well and be success-ful in Scottish football."

Rangers are believed to have offered Ã?£2million ââ?¬â?? with a further Ã?£1m in add-ons ââ?¬â?? for the 24-year-old but that has been rejected by Rapid. However, they are set to increase that bid to have a final go at landing the hitman.

And Jelavic has made it clear that he wants to follow in Prso�s footsteps and play in Scotland. He said: "I was informed about Rangers� interest in me and I really want to go. Rapid are a great side and I have enjoyed my time here, but I have paid them back well with goals and I deserve the chance to go.

"It has always been my dream to play in Britain and Rangers are a big club with tradition. I would love to play there."

Jelavic will lead the Rapid attack at home in a Europa League qualifier tomorrow against Bulgarian side Beroe.

If Rapid lose the tie, poised at 1-1 from the first leg, Jelavic could still play for Gers in the Champions League group stages.

If the Austrians win, and also triumph in the final knockout round where they won�t be seeded, he would be cup-tied for the Champions League, but it appears Rangers are pressing on regardless with the deal.

Meantime, Georgie Welcome today began his trial with the champions ââ?¬â?? and claimed he is capable of being a 25 goals-a-season striker.

The 25-year-old Honduran will seal a �£500,000 switch from Motagua if he impresses.

Welcome said: "I have other options, but all I want to do is come here and score goals."

Rangers have also been linked with possible loan deals for Manchester United kids Joshua King and Rodrigo Possebon after scout Sandy Jardine watched them play against St Johnstone last weekend.

And they are expected to sign 18-year-old Norwegian defender Krister Wemberg after he impressed during a trial period.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/dado-prso-make-nikica-jelavic-a-rangers-player-now-1.1045515

If quotes are to believed it seems to want to join us which is good news. He seemed awfully silent but I guess most players have to be respectful usually. Still not sure about the price, plus the wage. IF he does sign I hope he gets a longish contract so we don't lose him for nothing.