Rangers bid for Croatian hitman Jelavic

EVERTON plan to make a last-ditch bid to nick Nikica Jelavic from Rangers.

Boss Davie Moyes watched the giant Rapid Vienna hitman in action against Red Bull Salzburg on Sunday.

And the Merseysiders were represented again last night as Jelavic hit a double to send Rapid through to the Europa League play-off stage in a 3-0 win over Stara Zagora.

That could mean serious competition for Gers in their bid to land the �£3.5million Croat.

A further complication is that Jelavic will be cup-tied in Europe if he plays for Rapid in the next round and Vienna chiefs are adamant he will feature.

Gers, though, are determined to continue their pursuit of the 24-year-old, who has already made it clear he fancies a switch to Ibrox.

They hope to clinch a deal in the next week and after his strikes last night Jelavic beamed: "I'm delighted with my goals, but I am ready to take on a new challenge."

If he opts for Ibrox former Croat hero Dado Prso insists he will be a hit... as the NEW Prso.

He said: "I saw him play for the Croatian national team a couple of times over the past year or so and I have been really impressed.

"Like myself, he arrived in international football a little bit later than some of the others, but you can see his potential.

"He is tall and strong on the ball, he can hold it up and bring other players into the game and he can score goals.

"His biggest strengths are his courage and work rate. He isn't afraid to go into 50-50s and get hurt.

Advertisement

"You could say his mentality and his style of play would be very well suited to Scottish football.

"I always gave everything for the team, I see similarities with Nikica.

"But he's not just a targetman, he's a more complete player than that.

"I'm sure Jelavic would be a good signing for Rangers. I wouldn't have any doubts about him."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3080658/Everton-show-interest-in-Rangers-target-Nikica-Jelavic.html#ixzz0vaSo29KA

Yet again what should have been a straight forward transfer has descended into farce with us scrabbling around trying in desperation to get him signed all in the glare of a hungry media desperate for us to fail , oh and having to pay way more than we should for as guy in the last 12 months of his deal . Utter shambles , could the timing have anything to do with septics possible elimination from the C/L who knows , but yet again we have made an arse of things

If we really want this guy it should have been tied up asap and even paid a bit more for him. If he signs a 4 or 5 year deal and leaves in 2 years for 5 million Id take that. We should be looking at short term success at the moment and earning on transfer fees along with having good enough players to get us into the CL every year by winning the SPL.

Everton have always been careful with fees and wages but we cant compete with them.

There is no way we should be paying more than �£2M for a player going into the final year of his contract.

If we cannot get more than �£2M for Thomson for the same reason, I dont see any reason this guy should be worth more. He plays in a similarly poor league to us, and has made only a handful of caps for an average international side, like us.

I am disappointed all this is being played out in the media, as we are normally very careful with signing targets, which makes me wonder if we are seriously pursuing this guy at all, or "doing a timmy" by appearing to be trying hard to buy some quality, only to "just" fail and end up with mediocrity.

I dont know anything about this player, so I am not biased one way or the other with regard to wether we sign him or not, but I certainly dont want to pay over the odds for him, I was hoping those days were long gone.

From the BBC

Rapid Vienna say there will be no decision on Wednesday on the future of striker Nikica Jelavic.

Rangers had hoped to find out if their bid had been accepted for the Croatian international forward.

The 24-year-old scored twice in Tuesday's Europa League 3-0 qualifying win over the Bulgarian side Beroe.

A Rapid spokesman told BBC Scotland: "There will be no outcome today as out sporting director will not be back until tomorrow."

He added: "This will be discussed at a board meeting tomorrow morning."

Rapid Vienna may want to retain the striker until at least the play-off round for the Europa League.

Those games are scheduled for 19 & 26 August, which would leave only a few days before the transfer window closed.

If Rangers are unable to register Jelavic for their own European campaign, the Scottish champions would turn their attentions elsewhere.

MY SPORT: DEBATE

Give your reaction to this story

Nonetheless, he remains manager Walter Smith's favoured target as he seeks to replace Kris Boyd, although he is also looking at the Honduran Georgie Welcome on trial this week.

Jelavic has been with Rapid Vienna for two seasons, having joined them from Belgian club Zulte Waregem.

The powerful Bosnian-born forward scored 21 goals last season, three of those coming against Celtic in the Europa League.

He scored in the 1-1 draw at Celtic Park last October and bagged a brace in the 3-3 draw in the Austrian capital in December.

Meanwhile, any move from Rangers for the South African duo of Katlego Mphela and Bongani Khumalo is understood to be unlikely.

You have to wonder if it's good for your health to pay any attention whatsoever to this garbage. Those managing Rangers affairs in all sectors of the business are low-grade hustlers who should never have been anywhere near the club. The media conspires with agents to make sure we look like the third rate amateurs we undoubtedly are and the fans stumble from one cock and bull story to the next.

Rangers? A dysfunctional circus from top to bottom ... ownership, management, supporter representation, the lot. God help us, only a complete crisis will sweep away this mess and leave any hope for the future.