Rangers bid for Croatian hitman Jelavic

There is no way we should be paying more than �£2M for a player going into the final year of his contract.

If we cannot get more than �£2M for Thomson for the same reason, I dont see any reason this guy should be worth more. He plays in a similarly poor league to us, and has made only a handful of caps for an average international side, like us.

I am disappointed all this is being played out in the media, as we are normally very careful with signing targets, which makes me wonder if we are seriously pursuing this guy at all, or "doing a timmy" by appearing to be trying hard to buy some quality, only to "just" fail and end up with mediocrity.

I dont know anything about this player, so I am not biased one way or the other with regard to wether we sign him or not, but I certainly dont want to pay over the odds for him, I was hoping those days were long gone.

I agree with the Thomson part if we could only get �£2m for him then why should we pay more for a player that is in a similar league which is poor.

I disagree about national aspect, we are crap, Croatia are way better than us. Although they do have the same population as us. Maybe they have overachieved or done something correct at youth level.

I also agree that we seem to be too open about transfer targets. It seems that we have a mentality of we tried but didn't get him.

didn't we get a �£3.5m bid for boyd with 6 months left on his contract? Not to mention how much hamburg got off man city for de jong who also had 6 months left...

No we didnt. Boyd had 18 months left to run when we got that 3.5 million bid.

didn't we get a �£3.5m bid for boyd with 6 months left on his contract? Not to mention how much hamburg got off man city for de jong who also had 6 months left...

Man City are a law unto themselves.

Rapid Vienna say they have yet to receive any realistic offers for Croatia striker Nikica Jelavic amid interest from Rangers.

GettyImages

Nikica Jelavic is keen on moving to Ibrox

Jelavic, who scored twice for Rapid in their Europa League qualifier against Beroe on Tuesday, said this week that he was eager to seal a move to Ibrox.

However, Rapid's sporting director, Alfred Hortnagl, has now suggested he does not expect to sell Jelavic, 24, as he has yet to receive a satisfactory offer.

"Unless we receive a concrete offer that meets our valuation, Jelavic will certainly remain with us," he told Sportnet.at. "We haven't received any offers that would force us to make a decision."

David Moyes was reported to have been to the Gerhard-Hanappi Stadion to look at Jelavic but Hortnagel said he knows nothing of Everton's reported interest.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=811717&sec=transfers&cc=5739