Good Article from FF - Church or Chapel?

Number Eight, that'll be the guy who constantly posts like he's speaking to people significantly less intelligent than himself, and uses 1,000 words to say the square root of hee-haw.

There was a far better post/article today by a poster called Jan Fabel about the BBC.

Was it not also Number Eight who said that Kris Boyd would score the same amount of goals for Man Utd or Arsenal in the premiership because they often create just as many chances? He seemed to think that if you can score chances in the box at any level then you immediately have the ability to link up and connect with far superior players :).

Didnt realise Number Eight caused so much resentment.

Dont know the guy or can remember much of what he posts/writes, just thought that was a decent piece and thought I would share it with Gersnet.

I also like the Jan Fable article, but that was posted up later, after I had posted this one.

I followed Rangers because my father followed them, after the first time he saw Cooper play.

Where does that leave me?

I don't see any religious connotations to that at all...

OK, I eventually went back and read Number Eight's post and tbh, I haven't a clue what point it is he's making and figure I got it right first time around.

What I will say is that the issue is mainly one of language. If everyone understood the same thing from the words used, or if everyone used the same words to describe the same thing, we would have a lot less misunderstanding. We willingly use the term religion to describe something that is inherently nothing to do with religion. Rangers is essentially 'Us' while sellick is just 'Them'. We surround 'Them' and 'Us' with sets of assumed values and identifiers ... religion is one of these labels but it's got little enough to do with religion on either side. Those identifiers eventually become reflected in the values adopted and shared by the members of Us and Them, and quite distinct differences and tangible emerge.

Surely no one is daft enough to think there is no difference in reality between Us and Them, a difference expressed in a broad spectrum of attitudes and values ... political, social, perhaps even involving true religion. Number Eight says the Rangers community is no more unionist that Them ... clearly not true ... but that's the result of trying to see the differences in terms of narrow and specific definitions.

Why support Rangers? Because it's Us. Is it because We are protestant - not a chance but We might well identify Ourselves as protestant because of our adopted identifiers This doesn't make us less genuine in our values, it just means the horse comes befor ethe cart. I'm a member or Us, therefore I'm prepared wholeheartedly to adopt the values of Us. Others on this website prefer to deny at least some of those identifiers and find themselves at odds with the likes of me ... not because I'm personally religious or a protestant activist but because I'm prepared to accept that part of our identity, a real identity despite all denials. The Union and our Union Flag, Ulster, protestantism, the Orange Order, the Billy Boys, the Sash and Derry's Walls, the Queen, etc, etc..... that's as much part of Us as the ball hitting the net. Deal with it but do it honestly.

Didnt realise Number Eight caused so much resentment.

I've no idea who he is, I just found the tone of the article a bit off.

Thanks for sharing it though, its good when people do that as I'm sure there's a lot of relevant stuff out there we would miss otherwise.

Guest piagio2000

First post after lurking for a while.

My impressions of the piece was pseudo intellectual guff from a bloke who clearly thinks his opinions are worth rambling on for several hundred words, yet in the end are meaningless and pointless.

What was the point of it?

The Union and our Union Flag, Ulster, protestantism, the Orange Order, the Billy Boys, the Sash and Derry's Walls, the Queen, etc, etc..... that's as much part of Us as the ball hitting the net. Deal with it but do it honestly.

Honestly? Ok, here goes: While I wholely accept these things as parts of 'our' identity & don't have a problem with other Rangers fans' beliefs, I can honestly say that out of that list, the only thing that interests me is the ball hitting the back of the net. If that makes me a lesser one of 'us', not a 'real Bear' or anything similar, I really couldn't give a monkey's. I see myself as a fan of Rangers FC & nothing else. I'm not religeous, not a massive fan of the Union or the Queen & I don't particularly like marching bands either. I could go further, but I'd rather not.

I do have a severe dislike of Celtic and don't think very highly of the catholic religeon, but in the case of the catholic religeon, the dislike doesn't stem from being a Rangers fan, it stems from disgust at it's history and an ongoing horror at the insane religeon's continued infestation of the world, it's corruption, hypocracy & paedofilic bloodlines.

There's my slice of honesty for you!

Edited by Zappa

Honestly? Ok, here goes: While I wholely accept these things as parts of 'our' identity & don't have a problem with other Rangers fans' beliefs, I can honestly say that out of that list, the only thing that interests me is the ball hitting the back of the net. If that makes me a lesser one of 'us', not a 'real Bear' or anything similar, I really couldn't give a monkey's. I see myself as a fan of Rangers FC & nothing else. I'm not religeous, not a massive fan of the Union or the Queen & I don't particularly like marching bands either. I could go further, but I'd rather not.

I do have a severe dislike of Celtic and don't think very highly of the catholic religeon, but in the case of the catholic religeon, the dislike doesn't stem from being a Rangers fan, it stems from disgust at it's history and an ongoing horror at the insane religeon's continued infestation of the world, it's corruption, hypocracy & paedofilic bloodlines.

There's my slice of honesty for you!

Regarding the highlighted part of your post, this seems to be utterly unnecessary since no one has ever questioned either your commitment to the club or the nature of your interest. You clearly infer that you are being victimized as some kind of "lesser" supporter, when absolutely no such assertion was made ... Why?