Commentator - Loovens

I should explain as well the Dutch use ij as a Y so it is mostly only in English you see a y.

Cheers for that, Pete. You know what annoys me? When people who say "Ah-yax" instead of the English 'Ajax' do not also say "Par-ee" as the French would. I know the Dutch pronunciation, but let's at least be consistent.

I agree we should be consistent and I think we should pronounce everything the way the locals do.

I remember someone correcting me for saying "cans" for Cannes and the said, "Don't you mean 'caannn'?"

I asked them what the capital of France was and they said, "paariss", so I asked, "Don't you mean 'Paree'?"

That shut them up.

With football clubs I try harder to pronounce it the right way - so it should be Napoli not Naples, Roma, Torino, Venezia, Paree San Ger-mann, Bayern Munchen, Barthelona, Valenthia, rayal Madrid not reel, Milano not AC Milan, Spartak Moskva, Ayax etc.

I do have trouble with Red Star Belgrade - Crvena Zvezda.

In language I do hate it when we half do it - Tour de Fraance instead of Tour de Fronce or Tour of France.

The most irritating in England is the word buffet which they pronounce, 'buffy' like the vampire slayer. Either use French or English not some bastardisation. It's either 'buffett' or 'boofay'. The same goes for Peugeot.

Anyway I still love the pun "We'll wipe the foor with Ajax"...

Over Cruijff and I know this is not Rangers but i want to share it with as many possible so i will post it here. some may have seen it before. I watched it live and couldn't believe it. Best penalty ever. I will make it Rangers gossip by saying we should try it in the next OF game where we get a penalty. Wee Lenny would shit out his tongue.:)(After 1.03 is double Dutch.)

YouTube - De penalty van Cruijff en Olsen tegen Helmond Sport (1982/83)

Can safely say I've never heard it pronounced that way.

I can only say look at the video above and listen for the word Cruijff(Crouff). His name is mentioned a good few times as he is taking the penalty.

I have no problems with us calling him Croyff though as i done it for years until i lived in Holland.

I do hate commentators using wrong pronunciations though as they are paid good money to do their job. Getting a name right doesn't take rocket science just a bit of research.