Rangers may finally start to get credit they deserve

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/rangers/rangers-may-finally-start-to-get-credit-they-deserve-1.1063478

Rangers may finally start to get credit they deserve

There was a moment towards the end of last season when Walter Smith was offered the chance to praise his side as they strolled to the championship.

The Rangers manager reacted with some vigour, comparing his maligned team favourably to the best he had managed at Rangers when nine-in-a-row sides were populated by such as Laudrup, Gascoigne and Butcher.

There followed an animated scribbling of pens as the assembled hacks, myself included, appreciated the news line but it was followed by a general muttering that Wattie was being overly generous, perhaps understandably so.

Minds might just be changing this week. Of course, there is no-one in the present Rangers team with the genius of Gascoigne, the sleekness of Laudrup or the unalloyed defensive class of Butcher. But there has to be a reassessment of Smith�s side as they pursue a third consecutive title.

The past seven days have been a period of substantial achievement for Rangers in terms of points gained but they have also enhanced the reputation of a side routinely described as resilient, hard to beat and obdurate.

On the Saturday, Motherwell go a goal up and Rangers then rattle four past them. In midweek, Valencia push Rangers back for the 15 minutes of a Champions League match and then Rangers roar back, grabbing an equaliser and missing a series of chance to win the match.

And then the Old Firm encounter. One goal down, with Gary Hooper scoring just on the edge of half-time, Rangers surely now must bend, if not break. Twenty minutes after the restart it is all over.

Are Rangers ââ?¬â?? whisper it ââ?¬â?? a decent side? Are they more than the dour, organised yeomanry that their critics portray? The answer has to be an unqualified yes. Three goals demoralised Celtic. They were conceded sloppily. The first and third were defensive errors and the second was a converted penalty after an award that gives credence to the theory that an Old Firm ref must have eyes in the back of his head.

The comeback, though, should have been expected. Rangers have now gone behind to five Clydesdale Bank Premier League sides this season and have yet to drop a point in the league.

They have also drawn at Old Trafford, beaten the Turkish champions and denied an excellent Valencia side. Are Rangers ââ?¬â?? whisper it ââ?¬â?? a decent side? Are they more than the dour, organised yeomanry that their critics portray?

The answer has to be an unqualified yes. This is an extraordinary group of Rangers players in terms of familiarity. Smith bought Nikica Jelavic and James Beattie in the summer, while Ricky Foster and Vladimir Weiss arrived on loan and Andy Webster returned from Dundee United. Not one of them played a significant part in yesterday�s proceedings.

It was the old guard that brought triumph and they did it with an ease that testified to their qualities. They lost a bad goal at a bad moment but recovered almost routinely.

The solid team shape is a result of constant coaching and it gives Rangers a platform from which to play. When Kyle Lafferty took up a wrong position in the second half, Smith gave him the sort of roasting that took all of the chill out of the Parkhead air.

The goalkeeper was faultless, though hardly besieged. The back four fatally left Hooper at the back post for the goal but were not unduly perturbed for much of the match. Celtic, for example, did not make or miss one sitter.

McCulloch, still not fully fit, was influential in his holding role in front of the back four and Maurice Edu and Steven Davis were functional rather than inspirational. Steven Naismith was sharp and aggressive. Lafferty was a nuisance. And not just to Smith.

Kenny Miller, who missed two excellent chances against Valencia, almost inevitably scored a double, bringing his Old Firm tally for Rangers to seven. Examined individually, Rangers are a good side but their greatest quality lies in their performance as a team. In David Weir, McCulloch and Miller they have a strong seam of bloody-mindedness and will to win through the centre of the team.

This has had a beneficial effect on the younger players. When such as Steven Whittaker, Kirk Broadfoot or Naismith look up in search of leadership, there is an NCO barking out orders or leading by example.

Crucially, though, this side operates as team. Everyone knows and accepts his role. Everyone makes a contribution.

ââ?¬Å?I am not sure experience had a great deal to do with it,ââ?¬Â said Smith when it was pointed out Celtic had started the match with a club of debutants. ââ?¬Å?It is the way you play that will determine how you do.ââ?¬Â Rangers are playing well. There may be an understandable irritation in the Ibrox ranks at how long everybody has taken to appreciate this."

I'm fairly sure we took the lead against Valencia ya clown! Still, some grudging praise is nice :D

I have to say, I've been pleasantly surprised by most of the match reports I've read today. Many mention that the Broadfoot penalty was soft at best, but they all seem to point out the two Celtic players who were lucky to be on the pitch and they all say that regardless of any of this, Celtic were dreadful.

He repeats the same sentence twice aswell.

Are Rangers – whisper it – a decent side? Are they more than the dour, organised yeomanry that their critics portray? The answer has to be an unqualified yes. Three goals demoralised Celtic. They were conceded sloppily. The first and third were defensive errors and the second was a converted penalty after an award that gives credence to the theory that an Old Firm ref must have eyes in the back of his head.

The comeback, though, should have been expected. Rangers have now gone behind to five Clydesdale Bank Premier League sides this season and have yet to drop a point in the league.

They have also drawn at Old Trafford, beaten the Turkish champions and denied an excellent Valencia side. Are Rangers – whisper it – a decent side? Are they more than the dour, organised yeomanry that their critics portray?

The answer has to be an unqualified yes.

"The first and third were defensive errors and the second was a converted penalty after an award that gives credence to the theory that an Old Firm ref must have eyes in the back of his head."

I'm sure the penalty was the third...

“I am not sure experience had a great deal to do with it,” said Smith when it was pointed out Celtic had started the match with a club of debutants. “It is the way you play that will determine how you do.” Rangers are playing well. There may be an understandable irritation in the Ibrox ranks at how long everybody has taken to appreciate this."

There's also 5 quotation marks in this paragraph which makes it difficult to see what is said by Walter and what is not.

He repeats the same sentence twice aswell.

I thought after the second use it was going to be a running theme in the article and that might have made sense. Each time after he has made a few points in support of it. Used as it has been it doesn't qutie work.

Two factual errors re: order of goals against Valencia and at the weekend.

Not perfect English.

But still good to see a positive article on us for a change. I enjoyed reading it overall.

The thread title is spot on though and this team is impressing me more and more. Its not just winning its the way we are playing. Its easily the best football we've played in years.

We have almost a perfect balance and for once it seems we arent playing players out of position. The likes of McCulloch is looking like he played centre midfield all his days along with Papac looking like he has always been a LB.

I really wanted Novo to stay in the summer and had him down as one of the first on the team sheet last season but cant see where he would fit in at the moment. Considering our financial situation our striking options are fantastic when Jelavic is back and that includes the attacking wider players like Naismith and Weiss.

I still slightly worry about Bougherra or Weir picking up an injury until Webster shows he is match fit.

Edited by Gribz