REFEREES out to get Celtic? It's nothing new.

It's been happening for years. Ever since the days I was a manager During my career I always felt there were referees who targeted Celtic when they took charge of our games.

They operated with attitudes that were anti-Celtic. I genuinely believe that.

People used to think Tom Wharton had an agenda against us. I don't.

He was one of my favourite refs and I used to get on really well with him.

He was pretty fair in the games I was involved in.

I can't say that about a lot of them though. All this stuff this week has simply confirmed those beliefs.

Don't get me wrong, there's probably people from clubs throughout Scottish football who also think refs don't give them anything.

But I don't think anyone gets it as bad as Celtic.

In my day, there were referees who made mistakes but there were others who didn't give Celtic a fair crack and who found it very difficult to be perfectly fair and honest about what they did. Is that the same today? Well, this week's events don't do much to pour cold water on the theory.

But no matter referee's decisions. Celtic's players have to rise above it all.

They have to be good enough to win without any help from the officials.

That might sound harsh - but after what happened with Dougie McDonald at Tannadice, for me it's fair comment.

Refs have a tough job, no question. The higher they go, the harder it becomes.

But sometimes it's just in their nature to produce performances that makes them a target for the fans.

But to hear guys like McDonald openly admit things like this is incredible.

They should concentrate on being as efficient as they possibly can - without telling the world about their mistakes.

This simply gives ammunition to those who believe refs are against Celtic.

What happens next will be interesting.

Maybe Celtic won't be too happy with the findings of SFA chief executive Stewart Regan.

Perhaps they'll want their own independent investigation to get some answers.

For me, taking the matter into their own hands would be difficult.

To go outside the organisation would create a whole load of problems and I'm not sure that would work.

I'm not sure clubs should be involved in that sort of thing anyway.

That's why the SFA have to really crack down and keep an eye on the men in the middle.

If they believe these guys are blatantly - or silently - being unfair, they need to throw them out.

The suggestion of bringing continental refs in for the likes of Old Firm games has cropped up again and that might be a sound idea.

But then you watch them in the Champions League or whatever and these guys can be just as bad.

It's a difficult job and we need to work hard to understand that.

However, the SFA need to work even harder to improve the quality of these guys in the first place.

They're benefiting financially from being on reasonable money.

Now it's time to improve their conduct on the pitch to reflect that. In a small country like ours, it's hard for the refs to avoid criticism.

The second they go out on to the pitch they'll be accused of SOMETHING.

What we have to do to avoid that is simply improve the standard and better the system.

The one thing you have to appreciate is refereeing at the top level is very difficult.

Every ref will find problems doing the job properly.

Not one of them will go through their career truly satisfied with every one of their performances.

That can't be easy for them - I'm sure they would love to go home after doing a game knowing they've had the perfect match.

Sadly, I do think we're in a position nowadays where the players disillusioned with the standard of refereeing.

The big problem we have now is getting a new generation of referees.

Because let's be honest, who the hell would want to do the job right now?

If there are any referees out there who questioned the vocation before last week, they certainly won't be rushing to sign up for it now.

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/columnists/billymcneill/3209159/Refs-were-anti-Celtic-when-I-was-bossI-think-they-still-are.html#ixzz14CwQz0U6

The players and the managers are continuing to accuse ref's of being against them in the media. Surely the SFA/SPL should man the fuck up and start dishing out punishments. I am mainly focusing on Hooper today has said that ref's are against Celtic.

I guess he is using the topic as an advert to push his after dinner speaking. Talk about dodgy ref's and the bookings will come flying in from the paranoia brigade. he will be telling them that the ref's poisoned the spuds next.

Digging their own grave. Hope this comes back to bite them.

I'd love to win the league with a final day last minute offside penalty by a rangers player who was unregistered and shouldve been off the park anyway with an earlier studs up lunge. . .

Guess I'll just have to settle for winning the league at a canter