Regan - "Clearly there are sectarian issues at play,"

The SFA spent the evening in talks with referees' representatives and declared themselves optimistic that the strike could be averted

The Scottish FA has set a Thursday deadline to avert a refereeing strike, before they implement a contingency plan that involves parachuting officials in from other countries.

Referees have voted to withdraw labour amid concerns at abuse levels and what they perceive as the unfair questioning of their integrity. Talks were held between referees' representatives and the SFA tonight in an attempt by the governing body to avoid the strike, which would put matches at risk of postponement.

"We are hopeful that, if we can resolve the current issues that the referees have, then our own referees will be taking to the field," said Stewart Regan, the SFA's chief executive. "If not, then we will be preparing a contingency plan to implement by Thursday of this week."

Regan said it was "our intention" to have Scottish officials in charge of SPL matches but foreign associations will be contacted as a back-up. The contingency plan has met with its own troubles, though; Icelandic referees have said they will not step into any breach, with cool initial responses also received from Wales and Ireland.

"We will support our colleagues in Scotland," said the Icelandic referee Kristinn Jakobsson. "The referees all around the world is one team, so I think we are going on the same line."

Regan moved to distance himself from any suggestion that referees could be forced to declare allegiances to any one team when taking up officiating. The move had received provisional backing from the Celtic chairman, John Reid.

"Comments like that aren't particularly helpful," Regan added. "It's very difficult to justify why you would ask somebody to do that. We are hopeful that talks will be fruitful this week and they can officiate at matches at the weekend. We are hopeful that we can come to a satisfactory conclusion.

"It [the strike] appears to be about making a stand and withdrawing labour for the weekend but we are hopeful that, if we can give them assurances about support going forward, we can get them to rescind that decision."

The implementation of a referees' charter, with rules laid down for both clubs and officials, could form part of that action.

Regan refused directly to implicate Celtic, who have been involved in an ongoing battle with officialdom, in the current row. He did, though, point to wider factors in this controversy.

"Clearly there are sectarian issues at play," Regan said. "I think that's something that has been around for a long time and its naive to think that can be removed overnight. There are a lot of efforts by many people to change the culture. This is a cultural issue, it's deep-rooted and will take time to change."

Meanwhile the Scottish referee Craig Thomson took charge of tonight's Champions League tie between Ajax and Real Madrid in Amsterdam.

http://www.u.tv/Sport/Scottish-FA-sets-Thursday-deadline-over-refereeing-strike/96daa9c0-2db8-4ecf-94d8-959bcb3a7eaa

Regan refused directly to implicate Celtic, who have been involved in an ongoing battle with officialdom, in the current row. He did, though, point to wider factors in this controversy.

"Clearly there are sectarian issues at play," Regan said. "I think that's something that has been around for a long time and its naive to think that can be removed overnight. There are a lot of efforts by many people to change the culture. This is a cultural issue, it's deep-rooted and will take time to change."

I don't know what he's talking about. Is he blaming Celtic of sectarianism? If not, I don't know what he is suggesting but to bring sectarianism into it is very irresponsbile, and proves that my call for him to resign was correct, and he is clearly not fit for the job.

I've given this further thought and the only rational explanation I can come up with is that he has talked to the referees and is blaming the intimidation and threats that refs have received outside of football as sectarian. I can only presume that he is therefore accusing the Celtic support as sectarian, but how that squares with the abuse that Willie Collum received from them is beyond me.

A totally unhelpful comment that brings an unnecessary element into it.

Edited by Bluedell