Special Disaster Documentary

• 5 years later...
I had never watched that before. It's extremely painful to watch and instills in me an even greater disgust for the freaks who make fun of it.

Agree with you but I am afraid I find it a very poor Documentary. The real truths are not told why that stairway was accepted when it was a nightmare at every game. Who cares where Alex Ferguson was on that day? It is good to hear from the players point of view how they witnessed it but for me the story should be about the supporters and how they witnessed it.

It was just before I was born, so all I have ever known is the new Ibrox. There is a lot of mixed stories as to what happened that day, I guess in truth it's just impossible to know what happened as there were no cameras back then, and safety was verging on non existent(imo).

We can only go on what those who were their on that awful day tell us.

Remembering the terracings though, I would say it is a miracle that there were not more tragic incidents. We have to remember that after this happened it was only our club, that took the lead and built an all seater(except the enclosure)top class five star stadium. Nobody else thought they should bother??

The other clubs around Scotland still had thousands crammed in with poor or no thought for safety until the tragic events at Hillsborough and the Taylor report.

Anyone who was ever in attendance at the old Hampden or the piggery will vouch for that. I was still young but others like tynecastle and love street for example were just as bad, in fact let's be honest, they were all shocking, crumbling and not unlike some of the places we have visited recently but a lot bigger!.

It was just before I was born, so all I have ever known is the new Ibrox. There is a lot of mixed stories as to what happened that day, I guess in truth it's just impossible to know what happened as there were no cameras back then, and safety was verging on non existent(imo).

We can only go on what those who were their on that awful day tell us.

Remembering the terracings though, I would say it is a miracle that there were not more tragic incidents. We have to remember that after this happened it was only our club, that took the lead and built an all seater(except the enclosure)top class five star stadium. Nobody else thought they should bother??

The other clubs around Scotland still had thousands crammed in with poor or no thought for safety until the tragic events at Hillsborough and the Taylor report.

Anyone who was ever in attendance at the old Hampden or the piggery will vouch for that. I was still young but others like tynecastle and love street for example were just as bad, in fact let's be honest, they were all shocking, crumbling and not unlike some of the places we have visited recently but a lot bigger!.

I made that walk down the stairs many times as a young boy, as I am sure the older posters will have done, and it was horrendous. As the man in the film said my father also told me to keep my arms crossed in front of my chest to give me some breathing room. There was always constant shouting trying to get people to stop at the top to release some of the pressure. Thankfully for me the disaster game was my first ever OF game and I was only allowed to go with my older nephew and use my uncles season ticket for the main stand. I had no idea what had happened until I arrived home. As I always normally went for the Ferry stairway 13 was my normal exit. One of my friends was caught up in it but he, as the man in the film, only lost his shoe. He did tell me that he knew he was walking over bodies but there was nothing you could do but try and stay on your own feet.

All the smaller grounds was less of a problem as they were nowhere as steep and far fewer stairs as Ibrox was. In fact I think most people just walked down the embankment at Love Street IIRR.

I decided not to go to that game as we had family things on.

Like you Pete I always used stairway thirteen for ease of getting on to Copeland to get to the ferry.

Spent an anxious time waiting for news of a family member who turned up safe.

A terrible terrible day and how the scum can desecrate memories is beyond me ,but as many who do are too young to remember I can only put it down to upbringing.

I made that walk down the stairs many times as a young boy, as I am sure the older posters will have done, and it was horrendous. As the man in the film said my father also told me to keep my arms crossed in front of my chest to give me some breathing room.

I was 10 when this happened but have memories of 'going over the top' at the stairway as my grandfather who had been in WW1 and who occasionally attended a match called stepping over and finding your feet off the ground. I'm not sure if that was simply because I was so small or if it was the same for the adults too. I kept my arms straight up because being so young it was like something of a roller coaster moment and I think it was instinctively trying to keep my arms free in case I fell.

Contrary to what we read and hear about from the likes of Pete for example :)...I attended every home game from when I was 11 years old with my pal from 1966 until that fateful day. At NO time did I feel frightened walking down those stairs, never ever did I find myself losing control of my wits, and I was only 11,12,13,14 and 15 at the time. Sure there was a crush, this happened at most football ground at the full time whistle which I also experienced as I got older, Ibrox was much bigger than any other ground in Scotland with the exception of Hampden.

The only time I ever got 'scared' coming out of a game was at the '76 Cup Final at Hampden when I was basically carried a hundred yards or so off my feet jammed by the folk next to me. That was scary and I can only think looking back that maybe the Ibrox Disaster was something unique and not anything to do with safety issues at the ground.

Contrary to what we read and hear about from the likes of Pete for example :)...I attended every home game from when I was 11 years old with my pal from 1966 until that fateful day. At NO time did I feel frightened walking down those stairs, never ever did I find myself losing control of my wits, and I was only 11,12,13,14 and 15 at the time. Sure there was a crush, this happened at most football ground at the full time whistle which I also experienced as I got older, Ibrox was much bigger than any other ground in Scotland with the exception of Hampden.

The only time I ever got 'scared' coming out of a game was at the '76 Cup Final at Hampden when I was basically carried a hundred yards or so off my feet jammed by the folk next to me. That was scary and I can only think looking back that maybe the Ibrox Disaster was something unique and not anything to do with safety issues at the ground.

It was an accident waiting to happen and unfortunately it did. You will find in safety that some things need a number of factors to happen at the same time before it becomes dangerous. It can take many years before all these factors come at the same time. That does not mean something is not dangerous and action shouldn't be taken.