Special Disaster Documentary

We were in the Rangers' end enclosure for that game. We left right away at the final whistle. Our bus took us back to our village on the southside outskirts of Glasgow.

Since Colin Stein's goal felt almost like a winner, we were celebrating when my mother walked into the local pub and smacked me on the back of the head. She had seen the reports and was worried.

The pub quietened down and remained that way for a couple of weeks.

Those poor people, it was horrible. Still is.

It was an accident waiting to happen and unfortunately it did. You will find in safety that some things need a number of factors to happen at the same time before it becomes dangerous. It can take many years before all these factors come at the same time. That does not mean something is not dangerous and action shouldn't be taken.

That's rubbish Pete, sure I take on board a number of factors at the same time can cause something unforeseen, it still happens today and we all learn from it.

The idea that Ibrox Stadium was dangerous and being ignored is absurd. As I said in my earlier post, I at no time felt concerned or worried coming out of Ibrox Park's stairway 13 in all my time as a supporter.

That's rubbish Pete, sure I take on board a number of factors at the same time can cause something unforeseen, it still happens today and we all learn from it.

The idea that Ibrox Stadium was dangerous and being ignored is absurd. As I said in my earlier post, I at no time felt concerned or worried coming out of Ibrox Park's stairway 13 in all my time as a supporter.

How can it be rubbish when it happened? I am not saying it was knowingly ignored but the danger was probably underestimated. Safety in those days was not the hot potato it is today. Just because you felt no fear is not a measurement of whether it was safe or not that is rubbish. If it was left to most workers then most would still be working in unsafe conditions as many think safety is a burden. One of the biggest sayings is " I have done it that way for 25 years." You can just have been lucky for 25 years and it can go wrong in a split second. Accidents mostly happen through underestimation of the dangers and unfortunately trying to cut costs.

Edited by pete

it happened 10 years earlier also when people were killed

I've got several older relatives who all maintain it was likely to happen and positively hated the crush coming out of the stadium.