Rather worried about Saturday

Once again on Tuesday night we were pedestrian for long spells, didn't work hard enough off the ball and key players refused to take responsibility for their duties in the team.

All too often we're reliant on our defenders to make the play and don't have enough creative options in the team to keep the opposition guessing. We also don't have any real pace in the side and, McGregor aside, we've not been convincing defensively.

Meanwhile Hearts have looked pretty good. Strong at the back via Zaliukas (a player I especially admire) and Bouzid; mobile and physical in midfield via Black and Jonsson; and various options in attack with Templeton, Skacel, Elliot and Kyle. Add in the ever volatile Tynecastle atmosphere, then our work is cut out for us this weekend.

Of course, despite the late, late win there in early October, we'd did play pretty well and if it wasn't for their 'keeper, would have won much more easily.

As ever, with this Rangers team one just doesn't know which Rangers XI will turn up:

Will it be the fluent attacking one, full of creativity and forward play (including two strikers, two wide men and Davis played centrally) or will it be the frightened defensive one (including one striker, one wide player, Davis out wide and two holding midfielders)?

One thing is for sure, it should be a cracking game. May I be the first to call for Walter to take off the shackles and let our team show why we're still the best in Scotland!

Throw down the gauntlet with this team:

:am:

:sw: :mb: :dw: :sp:

:vw: :sd: :lm: :sn:

:nj: :jf:

Attacking, dangerous but still flexible enough to pull Fleck into midfield if required. Lafferty may be a better option in that case but on the tight Gorgie pitch, guile and finesse will be required to get past Hearts.

I can't wait!

:cool:

Edited by Frankie

Id go with that team. But agreed its a worrying one on paper. Its a cup final for Hearts, if they win this they are right in the title hunt, if we win then they could be out of it so long as we win games in hand.

IMO In a game like this the best form of defence is to attack.

very hard game for us imo and wasnt helped them winning the other night so there confindence is very high

i like the look of that team frankie has put out but for me only one change Edu for mcculloch

hopefully we up the pace as we were very pedestrian the other night

im going for a 2-1 victory for us

I'm sure we could all make the odd individual change - Lafferty for Fleck, Edu for McCulloch, Webster for Weir etc etc.

However, we simply must take the game to Hearts and start to show opposition teams our strengths instead of our weaknesses.

Everytime we do take the game to the opposition that's when we are at our best, and that is the problem, why don't we do it all the time ?

It's not as though we don't have the players, even the younger ones that come on have a more positive attitude at times.

Everytime we do take the game to the opposition that's when we are at our best, and that is the problem, why don't we do it all the time ?

It's not as though we don't have the players, even the younger ones that come on have a more positive attitude at times.

Obviously playing at a high tempo is tiring and the law of averages dictates that we can't expect to dominate every minute of every match. I also accept that sometimes caution is warranted and we have to utilise the whole squad and a variety of tactics when we have so many games to play.

However, what I won't accept is the lack of commitment and motivation which is often a direct result of an overly defensive outlook. We're too eager to get behind the ball and sit deep instead of closing down and getting men forward.

Instead of just Davis and AN Other as our attacking options, I'd like to see at least one more such player in the side wherever possible.

I like that team, other than the fact that for a game you fear so much, you've left the side pretty vulnerable in the midfield area. One holding player and three attack minded midfielders in a 4-4-2 runs the risk of losing the midfield battle. A better idea would be two holding or more defensive minded central midfielders then two attacking players out wide.

That side would be fine at Ibrox against most but this is one of our most difficult games of the season (even though Hearts are no great shakes).

I do like the front partnership combination - I fear it will be Lafferty and Jelavic though and if we play that we have little chance of winning

Edited by Totti

I don't see us winning unless we can find some sort of form that saw us wipe the floor with the SPL in December 2009.

How good would it be though if Jelavic scored the winner after that wee torag Black injuring him earlier in the season?