I'm struggling with your line of thought here. First you say why bother, then you say "obviously continue to work on homegrown youth".

Whether we like it or not, squads of expensively assembled foreign players are not likely to feature much in McCoists 3 year plan for the club. I think it is you that needs to see the doctor about the old ostrich syndrome.

I think you need the doctor if you can't follow what I'm saying. Obviously like all teams we should continue to work on our youth development but it should not be our only point of focus.

If you're going to do that sort of thing you'd be better looking to the new EC countries from Eastern Europe. Even, then it's all very well to talk about having a great scouting system, but aren't all the other teams doing exactly the same thing?

So because they're doing it we shouldn't bother?

It's a big world out there.

If anything the fact all these clubs are doing it should be illustrating to us how important it is.

Having a good scouting network is a no brainer

What gems????? There's a whole big wide world out there, filled with players who would love to move to Scotland on their way to the riches of the EPL, La Liga, Serie A etc. Set up the scouting network, bring in 3 players a year through it, sell 2 on for a, say �£5 million profit and tehn we can build a team. Not a scrape-together team made up by journeymen and pensioners, but a proper comeptitive team. Be smart when you sell these players on, insist on clauses for percentages of future transfers and the likes. Harking back to Wigan, they made around �£20 million profit on the transfer fees of both Palacios and Valencia - although after further research, Valencia was signed from a Spanish club - but the theory still stands.

The gems I was referring to are the likes of Cuellar who we made a profit from when sold to Villa. But Cal's point about non-EU players is one I hadn't thought of and would obviously restrict who we could actually sign. Clubs from Spain, Portugal, France, Germany, etc, benefit from much more relaxed naturalisation rules and so can get round this far more easily.

The gems I was referring to are the likes of Cuellar who we made a profit from when sold to Villa. But Cal's point about non-EU players is one I hadn't thought of and would obviously restrict who we could actually sign. Clubs from Spain, Portugal, France, Germany, etc, benefit from much more relaxed naturalisation rules and so can get round this far more easily.

And with better scouts maybe we could find more Cuellars...hurr durrrrr de derppp

And with better scouts maybe we could find more Cuellars...hurr durrrrr de derppp

Man, you really need to work on your debating style. I can picture you absolutely thumping the keyboard as you rattle out your comments. And not even a wee smiley to let everyone know your okay? :fish:

Man, you really need to work on your debating style. I can picture you absolutely thumping the keyboard as you rattle out your comments. And not even a wee smiley to let everyone know your okay? :fish:

The debating style which just proved you wrong and you clearly have no comeback.

The debating style which just proved you wrong and you clearly have no comeback.

There you go confusing me again :confused:

When you strip away all your bluster we pretty much have the same point of view. I'm saying that scouting networks in far flung climes such as South America are high risk and no panacea. I also say that we should concentrate on developing home grown players but remaining open to the likes of bringing in other players such as Cuellar.

Your point, I assume, is that we should focus on youth but also look at investing in scouting networks on mainland europe to pick up the players who have superior technical and physical ability. Not all that different from what I was saying, unless I've misinterpreted something?

Due to work permit rules, we can't sign South Americans unless they are playing 75% of international games for their country. That makes the ones we can have, an elite bunch and with our finances we can't afford them.

If you're going to do that sort of thing you'd be better looking to the new EC countries from Eastern Europe. Even, then it's all very well to talk about having a great scouting system, but aren't all the other teams doing exactly the same thing? What would make our scouting system system different and better than everyone else's?

As in all competitive circles, trying to be the best of the best is more than just doing anything well.

South Americans would not really want to move to Scotland. Anyway I think there is some rules to get by, i'm sure Fabio and Rafael at Man U have hardly played for their national team. "Special talent" probably means that a club can get by the work permit rules.

South Americans would not really want to move to Scotland. Anyway I think there is some rules to get by, i'm sure Fabio and Rafael at Man U have hardly played for their national team. "Special talent" probably means that a club can get by the work permit rules.

Yes, but "special talent" also usually means special price - probably too special for us these days. It's what Celtic used to get Sheidt and his �£5M price tag illustrates this pretty clearly, and his subsequent complete failure clearly illustrates the potential pitfalls.