Rangers' Jamie Ness named SPL young player of the month

Jamie Ness has been rewarded for breaking into the Rangers first-team by being named young player of the month in the Scottish Premier League.

The 19-year-old midfielder made his league debut as a substitute in a 4-1 win over Motherwell on 26 December.

He went on to play six games - Rangers won four and lost two - during January, leading to his Clydesdale Bank award.

The Scotland Under-19 international had been poised to join Third Division side Clyde before breaking through at Ibrox.

Ness was rested by Rangers manager Walter Smith for Saturday's 6-0 win over Motherwell.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/9396241.stm

Well done Jamie, much deserved.

Interestingly, today's BBC Radio Scotland's coverage of Dundee United against ra Yahoos, had main commentator, David Begg stating at half time, "the scorer of Celtic's second goal, Mark Wilson; surely many folks SPL Player of the Month for February"? Aberdeen Skipper, Paul Hartley doing his impartial co-commentator agreed with his fellow happy hoopster's suggestion. I should point out that Beggsy also added, "that's for others to decide". I suspect Mark Wilson can clear a space on his mantlepiece?

Considering we are NOT even half way through this month and there are 4-5 games to be played, is Beggsy being presumptuous? Or, has his BBC Scotland colleague, Chris McLaughlin told him something?

Sadly he wasn't rested, he was dropped.

How do you know that ? Admit it, you dont.

It doesnt fit in with your "WS doesnt know what he is doing" agenda.

WS has already stated that Ness has played little football in his fledgling career, mostly due to injuries and that we need to be careful with him. That sounds to me far more like resting and nurturing a player than dropping him.

Walter recently mentioned the 'being careful not to overplay the young lads' thing that he's talked about in the past, but getting a good run of games didn't do Danny Wilson any harm last season. Personally, I think he WAS being rested rather than 'dropped' because Walter has spoken about how Ness had had a lot of injury problems and that he seemed to be coping well with getting a run in the team. We've got a lot of games coming up and I'm pretty certain that we'll see Ness again.

i think it ws good that ness got rested yesterday , he played 6 games on the trot and wasnt he just back from long term injuries so imo it makes sense to keep him fresh for lisbon and the scum

That's my take on it too.