Next Season's manager

Who do you want as manager next year  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as manager next year

• McCoist with a member of current staff as assistant
    • McCoist with an outside assistant
    • New manager, McCoist as assistant
    • New manager, new assistant

If Gough was to turn up at Murray Park this week, I would have him in the squad for Sunday.

I think the 'Rangers man, leader etc' has to be tempered with having the ability to do the job. I'm not sure what experience Gough has, but I think he was a Livvy for a while and I don't think he showed much of a clue. But then, my memory ain't great so I could be wrong.

Edited by juffery

I see why anyone would recommend Gough but I too wouldn't mind seeing Wilkins. What about Steve Clarke ? Too much of an asst mgr ?

Steve Clarke is too much of a Celtic man more like. Kenny Miller I could just about take but a Celtic supporter in the Rangers managers office, no thanks.

Speaking of Gough, I wonder if he and Goram etc are sitting right now thinking the same as us posters that this season could pan out like 1998. If so they should be calling Ws and AM up and flagging up the wrongs from that season.

I wonder if McCoist is also thinking it.

Can you imagine being in McCoist's position inches from being the manager of Rangers? How could you do anything that might jeopardize that outcome? The closer you get the less you'll do anything to rock the boat.

Then it begins to dawn on you that the season is actually going down the toilet and you're part of the failure? Close but possibly not close enough ... and he's seen it all before. He must be shitting himself.

Edited by maineflyer

I really don't see how the assistant to a failed attempt to retain the title can be given the job.

Fair enough, he's been part of the success we have had and assistants don't always have as big a say as we'd maybe think in terms of changing bad spells but one of the biggest issues for me with the team is motivation. If McCoist can't motivate these players now, then he never will.

The problem is, if he doesn't get the job who do we go for? Experience? Inexperience? A Rangers man? A foreigner?

We all know we'll be limited by budget - firstly in who we can afford and possibly more importantly, what budget we can use to attract people. Just to compound matters do we really trust our AWOL leader to make the correct decision? And will we, as fans, have the patience to allow any new guy to do things his way?

As ever there are more questions than answers.

I think a definate conclusion is that it was wrong of WS to announce he will be stepping down at the end of the season and it was wrong to confirm McCoist will be his replacement. Not only was it wrong but it was done far to long in advance.

I think a definate conclusion is that it was wrong of WS to announce he will be stepping down at the end of the season and it was wrong to confirm McCoist will be his replacement. Not only was it wrong but it was done far to long in advance.

In some ways, planning ahead and being open is possibly correct but Smith should have learned from 1998.

That season players lost motivation and it's the same again now.

In some ways, planning ahead and being open is possibly correct but Smith should have learned from 1998.

That season players lost motivation and it's the same again now.

Id be happy for the planning ahead to be kept inside for such issue.

Not only motivation but running out of ideas and the same players being used week in week out. We do still have 2-3 months to turn it around though.

There's no doubt in my mind that you're correct. I think we're also seeing the obvious truth that there is only ever one manager. We might see McCoist in a special light but in the dressing room there will only be one manager, Walter Smith, and the negative effect his leaving announcement will never be shored up by anything McCoist does to boost morale.

The fact that Smith chose to repeat what I think everyone else saw as a huge error of judgement in 1997/98 tells us much about him as a manager. It's very disappointing when your heroes show their flaws.