Next Season's manager

Who do you want as manager next year  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as manager next year

• McCoist with a member of current staff as assistant
    • McCoist with an outside assistant
    • New manager, McCoist as assistant
    • New manager, new assistant

All I'm saying is don't write someone off before he's even started.

Our next manager might surprise everyone.

Yes, apologies for that ... it's just that while PLG and Advocaat showed us therevare no guarantees, the last thng we need right now is a science experiment.

It's all irrelevant. We'll get more of the same, and have to make do with the small joys and disappointments it brings, until we get rid of Murray and have someone at the helm with a vision of what sort of football club we're actually to be.

Yes, apologies for that ... it's just that while PLG and Advocaat showed us therevare no guarantees, the last thng we need right now is a science experiment.

Was going to say the same thing. After Advocaat, Eck and PLG, nothing can be taken for granted. You also can look at plenty of Celtic experiments where even the great Kenny Dalgliesh was poor.

Who would have picked Souness out of nowhere from player to successful manager? How does the choice of Ally differ from that? And if you want a big name then McCoist is pretty huge as a player and his assistant manager record is pretty good.

Nobody was impressed with Walter inheriting the job from Souness but he went on to deliver 9 in a row, 6 trophies and our best European Cup run ever. Few wanted him to come back as it looked like it could mirror the failure of Wallace in his second spell, but his success has been remarkable considering the circumstances of our club.

I really can't see who we could attract or afford that could anywhere near guarantee us better than winning 2/3 of everything domestically and go on to actually win a European trophy. Maybe some would prefer a lesser quantitative success to have "nicer" qualitative football on the pitch.

For me, when people say "more of the same", I look at what we've won and think yes please. However, I know that's going to be pretty difficult unless something dramatically changes in our ownership and consequently our debt.

We're spending millions every year in paying off the debt which could be the budget for the manager - so if a new owner pays off the debt and we keep wages under control, you can see where the 5M spending a year would come from - except CL money will be hard to come by.

However, at worst, we should eventually be on a par with Celtic with their income declining faster than ours, and their debt increasing.

Having said all that, I'd give McCoist a couple of seasons to see what he can do - but as ever, I'll be after his blood if we struggle as badly as under PLG. A manager needs time but he has to at least show he can compete to a reasonable extent while he rebuilds the team. If a reprobate like Lennon can hit the ground running, albeit with an open chequebook, then any candidate for us should be able to compete at least to the relative extent of his budget.

Just what is any manager going to do without money

I would prefer a manager who was shrewd in the transfer market and look to younger players and avoid stop gaps and loans as we will lose 3 players in the summer. That will put us down to 15 players? Plus Weir will be out of contract, then a fair few first teamers will also be in their last year looking quite bleak at the moment for anybody to take charge at the moment.

Just what is any manager going to do without money

Well based on yesterdays debacle (and others) he could sell McGregor, Whittaker, Bougherra, Davis, Edu and Lafferty and use that money to rebuild a team.

It's so infuriating to think we wasted so much on guys like Lafferty, Beattie and Edu when we could have had so much better.

This thing about Smith, no money transfer income transfer spend puzzles me, simple question is any money he has had spent has he spent it prudently, you decide.

That question is always raised after a defeat but never after a victory , strange that...... not that it is any less valid

I think McCoist and McDowell have done enough to warrant a go as Manager and Assistant. There is a risk that we will get "more of the same" but if McCoist's playing career is anything to go by, we should not be doubting his ability to cope with adversity.

My own view is that McCoist will look to put his own stamp on the team with whatever limited resources are available. It might take a bit of wheeling and dealing with perhaps the likes of McGregor having to move on to free up some finance, but he would get my backing the same as any other new manager would.

I'd feel sorry for McCoist if he didn't get a chance as he's certainly served his apprenticeship. Besides, how else will we know if he's going to manage in his own mould and not just be a clone of Smith? That said, he's part of the management team which seems to be struggling with some of the basics just now.

Unless there's a new owner with new ideas and money, I think the realistic option is for McCoist with someone else alongside him.