5 at the back to accomodate Weir?

Just occurred, are we playing an ultra defensive formation because we're trying to accomodate Weir?

Clearly Bartley's played his way into being a first choice, and Bougherra will always start if fit, so could the 3 central defenders be to ensure the captain plays?

In saying that, Bartley COULD be put in midfield for a 4-4-2 formation...

It's quite simple IMO. Weir should not be playing unless it's an emergency.

For remainder of season we should only be deplying 2 CH's - Bougie and Bartley. Both are strong, mobile and have pace. We would not sit anywhere near as deep as we currently do.

I'll be honest, I've never really warmed to Weir like many other bears have done. Nothing personal but I don't think he's a good Rangers captain or natural leader and I think his slow, laid back, casual approach does us no favours.

Last season should have been his last with us - but we have Walter to blame for that decsion.

Walter - ditch the old pals act FFS - we have a title to win. We cannot afford to be messing around with formations and accomodating players unecessarily !!!

Accomodating players is something that has stretched back to McLeish's days but its getting beyond a joke now. The worst thing to come of it is the players who are ready to step in must be wondering if they are good enough. Likes of Hutton and Ness must be wondering what is going on when they come in and play well only to be dropped after 2 games. Then there is Kerkar who was signed and hasnt kicked a ball yet Lafferty (who cant play left ever) and Whittaker are preferred to be a winger.

Id have no problem moving Bartley or Bougherra into midfield but would prefer them to be the centre back pairing. Bougherra has been an option for midfield for a while with his strong runs.

I'm not so convinced it's as easy as say drop Davie Weir and success will automatically follow.

He's the captain of our club and despite his faults (which have never changed since he joined by the way) his influence is still an important one. If we played Bougherra and Bartley would we have the same guidance and discipline at the back we have with Weir? Would Bougherra be able to support the attack as much as he does? Would Bartley provide the threat in the opposition box he brings?

Weir hasn't been great of late but he's still had as good (or as bad) a season as everyone else. I actually agree that we should be phasing him out (Sunday's match would have been a good test for a new central pairing) but what happens when Bougherra is inevitably suspended for several games in April/May? Would Weir's ageing body be able to react to the same intensity as a result of not playing as regular (after all he already doesn't train as much as the rest of the team)?

All in all, like I say, it's not as simple as saying drop Weir and we'll win the SPL.

Bartley looked to be organising things at the back in recent games so hopefully he can take on the role of organiser in the future.

I was watching a championship game the other day and there was a player on loan from Arsenal. How many players do they actually have on their books? They seem to have players all over the place.

Bartley looked to be organising things at the back in recent games so hopefully he can take on the role of organiser in the future.

I was watching a championship game the other day and there was a player on loan from Arsenal. How many players do they actually have on their books? They seem to have players all over the place.

IMO Bartley seems to be doing more organising and 'captaining' than most. Shouting, organising, encouraging and effectively leading the team. We've been lacking that for a while. We severely lack natural leaders on the park - that's half our problem. Too many quiet guys who prefer to hide rather than stand up and take responsibility.

Could we play Big Davie in front of a back 3? He could sit there just slightly further up the park, with either Boughie or Bartley sitting behind. A type of Sweeper if you will.

That way the wingers could get back and forth without having to always get back for the last man who is snails pace.

Love Big Davie, but he is restricting.