4 games in 8 days isn�t fair on Celtic

By ROBERT GRIEVE

Published: Today

Add a comment (2)

DAVIE WEIR insists it's WRONG for the SPL to force Celtic to play four games in eight days.

Neil Lennon's table-toppers are facing end of season fixture chaos.

League chiefs could make them play St Mirren at home on Saturday, then face St Johnstone and Caley Thistle next midweek before their Scottish Cup semi-final with Aberdeen next Sunday.

It's similar to the crazy schedule Gers had in the title run-in when they lost the league in 2008.

Ibrox skipper Weir said: "Time will tell if Celtic handle it. It is very difficult and in my opinion it shouldn't happen.

"I don't see how we have a season that lasts nine or ten months and yet they have to cram four games into a week.

"I don't see how they can ever get to that situation.

"There has to be something wrong with the set-up to get to that situation.

"It's not an ideal scenario. We did it in 2008 and we didn't enjoy it.

"The league told us we had to do it, so we did it.

"I still don't think it is right.

"They said to us the precedent had been set because Celtic had had to do it in a previous year."

Gers are still hopeful the Craig Whyte takeover will be completed this week. Weir insists, however, the off the field situation is not affecting the players.

He insists a solution MUST be found to Gers' cash crisis. Weir added: "We've been successful under these circumstances, but you wonder how far Rangers can be allowed to run down by the people who are in charge of it before you are taken out of the ball park.

"As a player you don't think about next season.

"I'm sure that the manager and the club hierarchy do, but as a group of players our only concern is trying to win the league."

Meanwhile, Weir has also revealed he is not certain to quit Ibrox in May.

He said: "There is a chance that I could stay on.

"I will never say never. This is what I do and what I have done for the last 20 years.

"I'd love to play for another five, ten years but it doesn't work like that.

"I just do my best. I turn up, get myself in the best condition I can and do my best on the park. If somebody is daft enough to keep picking me, I'll keep turning up."

I think he is using a bit of reverse psychology here by making a point we were close to being in that situation again this season but no help was offered, so it will be interesting to see what those genuises at the SPL do to assist Celtic.

Id love to see them play 4 games in a week and blow both league and cup.

No, he's right in that it was wrong when we had to do it so it's wrong the Celtic have to do it as well.

However, they can't change the rules now as that would affect the sporting integrity of the competition.

And we have a tour of Algeria to consider. :whistle:

I'm on recored as saying that I've never really warmed Davie Weir as a Rangers captain. So, no surprise to hear that I feel Weir shouldn't even have discussed this or answered the question in the way he has.

Disappointing Davie, disappointing.

Edit - just seen his quote that there 'is a chance that he could stay on next season' NOooooooooooooo !!!!!! Don't even think about it Ally !!

The guy is just being intelligent, consistent and fair. I don't see the problem. It is wrong, no matter which team it is and the organisers of the league are a joke for letting it happen. It's been obvious for decades we need an earlier start and a winter break but the trouble is too many people involved are too stupid to understand it.

They say you don't know when the weather is going to hit - but surely it's more likely to hit in the winter than the summer? Even a five year old knows that.

They say what if the break is February and the weather hits in December? Easy, you play the postponed games in February.

What if it hits in March - well hard lines - what you do is extend the season by a week or two but how often will that happen - one year in ten? In our present system if weather hits at ANY time then we're 100% chance of having the season disrupted.

People actually seem to think 10% chance is greater than 100%...

WRT Weir, some people need to actually listen to what he's saying instead of the silly knee jerk reactions. I can't believe he's being criticised for having some real integrity - something CFC rarely show.

The guy is just being intelligent, consistent and fair. I don't see the problem. It is wrong, no matter which team it is and the organisers of the league are a joke for letting it happen. It's been obvious for decades we need an earlier start and a winter break but the trouble is too many people involved are too stupid to understand it.

They say you don't know when the weather is going to hit - but surely it's more likely to hit in the winter than the summer? Even a five year old knows that.

They say what if the break is February and the weather hits in December? Easy, you play the postponed games in February.

What if it hits in March - well hard lines - what you do is extend the season by a week or two but how often will that happen - one year in ten? In our present system if weather hits at ANY time then we're 100% chance of having the season disrupted.

People actually seem to think 10% chance is greater than 100%...

WRT Weir, some people need to actually listen to what he's saying instead of the silly knee jerk reactions. I can't believe he's being criticised for having some real integrity - something CFC rarely show.

he should be fully focussed on Rangers at the moment. This is going to be a momentous title run in. he shouldn't be interested in what is going on over on the other side. In your last few weeks at our club, just concentrate 100% on Rangers and improving your game Davie Weir !!! and avoid more cringeworthy comments on the taigs position !!!

he should be fully focussed on Rangers at the moment. This is going to be a momentous title run in. he shouldn't be interested in what is going on over on the other side. In your last few weeks at our club, just concentrate 100% on Rangers and improving your game Davie Weir !!! and avoid more cringeworthy comments on the taigs position !!!

But he ISNT interested in what is going on with the other side. Try to read between the lines. As has been said, this is reverse psychology - he is syaing it is unfair on Celtic, and it is, but he is also at the same time saying "hey, it happened to us and we got very little help, so give them help and then lets await the fall out".

By answering a question in an interview, an answer that probably took him no more than 15 seconds to answer is hardly not being fully focussed on Rangers.

If you find his response about this issue cringeworthy then it says more about you than Davie Weir. It isnt cringeworthy, it is the truth - and as I said, if you find the truth cringeworthy, then it says more about you than him !

I personally have felt that Davie Weir wasn't a forceful enough character on the pitch to be captain - however, given what he has achieved with us and given what Rangers have achieved whilst he has been with us, shows I was wrong. And the manner in which he handles himself off the pitch proves that he is every bit a Rangers captain. Every bit.

But he ISNT interested in what is going on with the other side. Try to read between the lines. As has been said, this is reverse psychology - he is syaing it is unfair on Celtic, and it is, but he is also at the same time saying "hey, it happened to us and we got very little help, so give them help and then lets await the fall out".

By answering a question in an interview, an answer that probably took him no more than 15 seconds to answer is hardly not being fully focussed on Rangers.

If you find his response about this issue cringeworthy then it says more about you than Davie Weir. It isnt cringeworthy, it is the truth - and as I said, if you find the truth cringeworthy, then it says more about you than him !

I personally have felt that Davie Weir wasn't a forceful enough character on the pitch to be captain - however, given what he has achieved with us and given what Rangers have achieved whilst he has been with us, shows I was wrong. And the manner in which he handles himself off the pitch proves that he is every bit a Rangers captain. Every bit.

fair enough mate. entitled to your opinions and I can see what you're saying.

The guy just doesn't insipre me one little bit - as you can tell !!