Myths about Rangers abroad and making money

I wanna clear something up that is a 100% myth that people in Scotland seem to think happens.

Rangers shirts and TV abroad, and i'm not talking Europe where you can get Sky.

I have lived and worked in the Middle east, and lived in South east Asia for the best part of 20 years as well as the States (last count i had been to around 90 countries through work and play). I read all the time that these are markets we need to tap into to make money.

lads and lasses, Rangers are on the TV out here and have been for years, but if a EPL game is on it takes priority. You need to go to the very few bars that will show them. I lived in a town in Thailand called Pattaya for years. It has something like 4,000 bars and clubs (it's roughly the size of Paisley) and there is ONE, yes ONE bar that is dedicated to Rangers and it's tiny.

Also why pay �£40 for a Rangers shirt when you can buy the fake for �£2? The only teams that have shops out here are Man U, Arsenal and now Chelsea, even then they are small shops stuck away in a corner and very rarely busy that's because right across the street you can buy the fake stuff for a tenth of the price.

It's just a case of there's no real market for us. I hate saying this but we are not as big a team as a lot of fans seem to think we are.

Buying a Korean or Jap would not increase our income at all, ok it would raise the profile a bit and we might make a few extra quid but IMO it's not worth the financial burden of brining in a guy like that to rangers as the chances of him settling are slim.

I'm sure some will disagree, but that's my views from 20 years of trying to watch the Rangers abroad outwith Europe

I think that it is important to open up to different markets. Making money in Scotland is hard enough - to do it without Champions League is almost impossible but that is the challenge for Craig Whyte and the new Rangers Board when they come in.

I have said this for years in terms of commercial activities Celtic are far better at doing that than ourselves. They play up to the Irish plastic paddies all over the world.

What we have to do it is get more people in America, Canada and Australia into supporting the Rangers. Although many in Scotland wouldn't believe it Rangers have a terrific brand - We are very special, unique club and we should be exporting that across the world.

I'd agree with the general point made by Bears. I have never been convinced that celtic were making loads of cash from their Nakamura et al connections.

These kind of markets will have minimal impact for us at the moment and Tumshie is also correct in that any overseas activities should be focused on USA, Oz, NZ and Canada.

Edited by Bluedell

It's TV rites that make the �£�£�£�£�£�£�£�£�£�£�£

And you know what, the SPL is available in any country i have been to because the TV rites to it will be cheap as chips. I have watched Motherwell Falkirk in the middle of the Oman desert, or in my house in Thailand.

I am no marketing expert but i really don't see how we can make money out this way or the other western countries (non EU) that have been mentioned??

USA

I don't want to cast any generalisations here, but I'm led to believe that a large percentage of the US of A don't even know where they are themselves, never mind where Glasgow is.

Glasgow? Is that in Europe?

Edited by Zappa
typo

I don't want to cast any generisations here, but I'm led to believe that a large percentage of the US of A don't even know where they are themselves, never mind where Glasgow is.

We are never going to appeal to mass market USA and that's not we should be looking at. The approach would need to be very focussed.

I don't want to cast any generisations here, but I'm led to believe that a large percentage of the US of A don't even know where they are themselves, never mind where Glasgow is.

Well they can't be THAT bad if they came up with the ditty: "where in Ireland is Glasgow?" :thup:

We've had a few American players and the general hardcore American "soccer" fan would know about us. Not sure about the availability of merchandise. I remember in 2003, in Florida going into the Nike shop and our 2001/02 kit was still in their shop (Final Nike kit), I thought that was cool. Even though we had moved to Diadora a year before I went there.

I don't think I have ever seen a Rangers top in a shop here in Holland. Unfortunately there are nearly always tim tops hanging on the rail.:twisted:

That's because ours have all sold out and no-one wants to buy the green n grey !