Celtic have the edge over Rangers despite SPL title loss, says Kris Commons

KRIS COMMONS last night stood by his claim that Celtic are younger and fitter than Rangers - despite his words driving on the Ibrox men to the SPL title.

The Scotland star's comments were used as motivation in the Gers dressing room in the vital final weeks of the campaign.

But after yesterday's Scottish Cup triumph, Commons claimed again the Hoops are younger and fitter - and insisted they are now older and wiser too.

Commons reckons the bitter experience of a last-day defeat in the title race by their city rivals has been a valuable lesson for Celts and will drive them on when the league kicks off again.

The former Derby County man played a key role in Celtic's 3-0 Hampden win against Motherwell to secure the club's first silverware since March 2009.

The scenes of jubilation by the Hoops players and fans were a stark contrast with their emotions last week when Rangers clinched the SPL crown on the final day.

Kris' first taunt came on the eve of a crucial Old Firm clash at Parkhead - and canny Gers boss Walter Smith pinned his words on the Ibrox dressing-room wall.

The rest is history. And the claims were thrown back in the midfielder's face by some Gers stars last week as they celebrated their three-in-a-row titles.

Commons stuck to his guns and said yesterday: "It's my opinion and I stand by my words. Celtic are the younger, fitter, better side.

"Rangers beat us by one point - and credit to them, they have quality throughout their team.

"But they didn't beat us because they were fitter.

"We can improve. Next year we won't be concentrating on matters outside of football, we'll be concentrating on Celtic and our own performances.

"We are a good side that can score good goals.

"Guys like Beram Kayal, Ki Sung-Yueng, Gary Hooper and Emilio Izaguirre are all in their early 20s and are still to peak.

"They are outstanding prospects. I think we're going to be a force.

"In the space of a week we have experienced losing and have now enjoyed winning.

"The heartache and loss we felt last weekend will make us more determined next time.

"You can't buy experience - look at Rangers skipper Davie Weir.

"He's an outstanding leader and it was a pleasure to play with him when I was with Scotland.

"Yes, Rangers winning the league was a great achievement.

"But from the disappointment we'll get experience.

"And you get experience from winning as well. Walking around the pitch with the trophy at the end, with the fans saluting you and throwing scarves and stuff, was magic and I want to sample that on a regular basis.

"It's our driving force next year - we don't want to lose anything. We want to win big.

"We're on a high after winning the cup and it has given us a hunger to kick on now."

Commons admits he never had any self-doubt after Celtic stumbled in the closing stages of the league race to let their Old Firm rivals squeeze past.

He said: "I wouldn't say there were question marks about our ability to get over the finish line.

"Going into the last four or five games we felt like favourites - but in football nothing is certain.

"So it felt great to win yesterday at Hampden to repay the fans for their constant support.

"We've believed all season we've a good enough squad to win some silverware - and now we've shown that we can.

"Hopefully next year we'll win a few more. If the team stick together we can achieve a lot.

"We have a really good squad and when everyone's fit and fighting for places it's a healthy position to be in. Beram will be back after his injury and I hope we get off to a good start and carry on from where we left off."

Commons - who had a hand in Celtic's first two goals - celebrated success on a big scale for the first time since winning promotion with Nottingham Forest He said: "I was promoted with Forest but we finished second - so there was no trophy.

"This is a similar feeling - the champagne's out, the boys are buzzing."

Commons praised gaffer Neil Lennon and said the players would be delighted if his future could be sorted out as soon as possible. The midfielder said: "If we can tie down Neil for another couple of years the lads would be delighted.

"This has been a good way to end a long, hard season.

"There's not much of a break in the summer before we're back in the swing of things.

"I hope everyone comes back from their break for pre-season feeling fit and healthy."

Commons is now due to team up with Scotland for the Carling Nations Cup double header in Dublin but said: "I'll be speaking to Craig Levein and seeing what the situation is."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2011/05/22/celtic-have-the-edge-over-rangers-despite-spl-title-loss-says-kris-commons-86908-23148440/

Really wanted him to come to Rangers, now all I see is a dirty wee rat bastard when I look at him. Good player but following the timmy stance of no dignity and spouting BS at every opportunity.