Football Years - Walter Smith

It brought back a lot of memories. A much higher quality show than we're used to seeing on STV. Also interesting to hear Walter admit reluctance to make changes near the end of 9iar and regret over that decision.

Only quibble was they didn't really focus on our 92/93 run as much as I'd have liked. They mostly discussed the Battle of Britain with Leeds.

I think they've had a separate show for that season - this was all about Walter not specific achievements.

Guest Dutchy

That was a great programme, great memories and wishing for the season to kick-off again with more anticipation than normal.

I was watching with great interest how Walter was the underdog and not the 'fancied' choice, yet see what he went onto achive. NOw, we have an untried new manager in Ally and much maligned as not up to the job either.

Could this be the beginnings of another 9iar, or even 10??? You never know?

About SAF Bears: The reason I was pissed off with him was that just before he left Aberdeen he was offered the Rangers job. He refused it on the basis that Ibrox was not the kind of place he would like to work, citing his catholic wife's religion for him not getting a proper chance while he was a player with Rangers. I think that was a very damaging comment to make, and if he's so hard, why didn't he want to do something to change it as you could have more chance when in the job, instead of carping from hte sidelines.:hm:

One article I read was that SAF was offered the job and came for talks. He wanted a Souness type transfer budget to turn Rangers into a top European club but instead he was offered the budget eventually given to Jock Wallace. The story goes that THAT is the reason he turned us down.

Then two years later, Holmes is given the reigns and Souness gets the budget SAF asked for.

One article I read was that SAF was offered the job and came for talks. He wanted a Souness type transfer budget to turn Rangers into a top European club but instead he was offered the budget eventually given to Jock Wallace. The story goes that THAT is the reason he turned us down.

Then two years later, Holmes is given the reigns and Souness gets the budget SAF asked for.

That's the one i have always been lead to believe is true.

Guest Dutchy

Then it's all about stories then calscot.

Over the years I've learned never to trust whatever I read, but I read that before I became so philosophical, so he's a bam in my view.

In fact, now I think about it, I'm sure it was a TV programme that I heard 'my' story from, and I'm a fool for a good picture. lol

It is all stories and it's sometimes impossible to know what to believe.

However, I think yours may be Timmy inspired. Rangers were starting to sign Catholics when Ferguson was offered the job, with John Spencer being the first for a while.

He may have said something about his Catholic wife but he'd already played at Rangers while being with her. Souness also had a Catholic wife and said the same thing and he took the job while saying Rangers didn't have a sectarian sigining policy and proved it. Ferguson could have easily done the same.

If the story is true then I think it's more likely related to the story he was sold by Rangers because he married a Catholic. However, the football story is that he was Rangers captain, Rangers didn't win anything and he was considered the scapegoat.

But it could have been something else.

Here's a quote from the man in a Sky Sports interview:

"Of course I was offered the Rangers job in 1983 but I just felt having done so well with Aberdeen and having had such a great relationship with the chairman Dick Donald and the vice chairman Chris Anderson it would have been a kick in the teeth to them to go to Rangers.

"So I felt the best thing would be to go to England and I always remember Dick Donald telling me that the only club that would satisfy me was Manchester United. Amazingly I was there five or six months later and I had no inkling about it."

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20110510/we-could-have-been-gunners_2254024_2357433

Who knows?

Guest Dutchy

I could try to be more specific and search my memory, but I've forgotten where I left it, or indeed how to use it.

Fact is, it doesn't matter to me what the reasons for SAF getting a hard time from Rangers fans, I just don't like the man. I don't like 'hairdryer' management. Had he turned out to be a Rangers manager, I would defend his decisions while being in that position, as I do with Souness, whom I also don't like as a man. Neither of them have any class, in my opinion.

Which is an entirely seperate matter.