New Anti-sectarianism Legislation To Be Delayed

Guest westendblue

i'd like to think it was common sense, but i get the feeling it was the realisation that there was no way this law would get passed and they would look even more ridiculous than they currently do!

i'd like to think it was common sense, but i get the feeling it was the realisation that there was no way this law would get passed and they would look even more ridiculous than they currently do!

A bit of both I'm sure. Salmondis stubborn but he's not stupid.

Now we have to ensure the Bill is re-written properly.

Salmond, for all his faults, is no fool. Whether this is victory for common sense or the result of some Machiavellian strategy, the issue seems to have forced everyone into a consensus - i.e. that firstly something needs to be done, and that everyone needs to be consulted and that any bill has to be practical and fair. Result!

Trying to force through a lop-sided piece of trash in the close season when football fans are on holidays and certainly not having meetings etc to discuss these things was a clever move. However it was so ridiculous and badly written that it was fairly easy to rip it to shreds and as more and more people (non-RC of course) came out and ridiculed it, including the committe in Holyrood who are supposed to examine every bill in detail, it was doomed.

Hopefully this will give us time to prepare proper representation, lobbying and make this bill, if required at all, a fair and just law for all, not just for the MOPES.

I can see it disappearing into the dust if the 2011-12 season progresses without any major flashpoints.

I can see it disappearing into the dust if the 2011-12 season progresses without any major flashpoints.

Flashpoints and an excessive media furore over them will be deliberately fabricated. All it will take is one or two minor incidents blown out of proportion as well as one or two fabricated stories and they'll get a Bill passed. Mark my words: There will be constant mention in the media of last season's supposed bomb threats and the attack on Lennon at Tynecastle.

Guest Dutchy

I don't think they ever really beleived that they could have got this through so quickly. They just played it out then done the double take to show what an understanding and listening government they are. Old political trick, but good news just the same.