Cuellar is top of McCoist hit list

Aston Villa will settle for a �£3m transfer fee for Carlos Cuellar

Darrell King

24 Jun 2011

ALLY McCOIST arrived back in Scotland and got down to business today ââ?¬â?? with the capture of Carlos Cuellar his main priority.

The Rangers manager returned from holiday ahead of pre-season training with his players, who report back to Murray Park on Monday.

McCoist immediately headed into a meeting with Rangers� new director of football Gordon Smith, and owner Craig Whyte, for an update on where Rangers are in terms of their signing targets.

And the mission to bring back Cuellar from Aston Villa ââ?¬â?? which has always been his main aim in the early days of the summer market ââ?¬â?? will now be stepped up with the news the Spanish defender is well ahead of schedule as he recovers from keyhole knee surgery.

Villa have rejected Gersâ�� initial offer of just under �£2m for former star Cuellar, who is into the final year of his deal, but McCoist has been very encouraged by Cuellarâ��s desire to come back to Scotland and hopes a deal can be struck at around �£2.5m in the next few days.

Cuellar revealed: ââ?¬Å?It has been a month since the surgery and my recovery is going very well. I am gaining strength and will be training again in a couple of weeks.ââ?¬Â

Whyte said of the pursuit of the Spaniard: ââ?¬Å?Weââ?¬â?¢ve got an offer in for Carlos and weââ?¬â?¢ll see what happens. I think thereââ?¬â?¢s a deal to be done with Villa.ââ?¬Â

McCoist also wants to bring back Kyle Bartley from Arsenal to strengthen the central defensive area, but has found it difficult to get an answer from Arsene Wenger.

He will continue to pursue that avenue next week, but there is no interest in Ghana defender John Mensah, or Israeli stopper Rami Gershon.

Rangers were also locked in talks with free agent Neil Danns today, and remain hopeful they can strike a deal with the midfielder who has just left Crystal Palace.

But they may have to move quickly if they want to sign David Goodwillie from Dundee United after Cardiff City made a move for the striker last night.

Rangers have had a �£1.25m bid rejected for the triple Young Player of the Year, and Cardiff are believed to be willing to match Unitedâ��s �£2m valuation.

There have been no new moves made to Hearts for Lee Wallace.

I hope it is agreed at the weekend and he signs on Monday.:rfc:

No new quotes, pure waffle tbh. I saw this headline on the front of the times and clearly it was an article and headline designed to sell papers. Yeah, I know, wow, eh? A newspaper doing that!

I've seen a dozen different stories quoting a particular player as being on top of Ally's list, bit tired of it.

That all said...like you Ian, I'd be thrilled if we have him over the next few days. I'm just hoping we've upped our bid in the last day to an acceptable level and serious moves can be made to bring him back.

But the sheer lack of new news on the deal is a little perturbing.

No new quotes, pure waffle tbh. I saw this headline on the front of the times and clearly it was an article and headline designed to sell papers. Yeah, I know, wow, eh? A newspaper doing that!

I've seen a dozen different stories quoting a particular player as being on top of Ally's list, bit tired of it.

That all said...like you Ian, I'd be thrilled if we have him over the next few days. I'm just hoping we've upped our bid in the last day to an acceptable level and serious moves can be made to bring him back.

But the sheer lack of new news on the deal is a little perturbing.

Thanks Bob:D

I don't see Cuellar coming back tbh and as he is on �£35k a week we are not going to pay anything near that or the �£3 mill asking price. His agent is quoted as saying he will run down his last year at Villa.

Depends on what he wants. His next contract will likely be his last - he may prefer regular playing time in front of fans that will idolise him, over the money he would lose out on. Also, dont forget that there is no guarantee he will get a decent contract after he runs down his contract with Villa.

Danny, I dont think you can be furious with Ally, it is very much common knowledge that the contract negotiations will be undertaken by Smith & Whyte. McCoist will highlight players he wants and then the contractual negotiations are down to others. I am sure that Whyte & Smith will be telling Ally the most that we are prepared to pay hence why AM will speak to the press in those terms.

Smith has more experience than either Whyte OR McCoist when it comes to contract negotiations, one would like to think he knows what he is doing.

Danny. Here’s how it works mate.

The “other team” ask for X amount knowing fine well the interested party will never pay that. They know they will pay roughly between 20-50% less than that. So they ask “high” knowing they will get the amount they really want.

Rangers are playing the game the normal way. I reckon we’ll pay about Ã?£2.3 to Ã?£2.5 M for him

be patient