Chelsea To Sign Barthez?

Was watching the build-up to the footy tonight and old Richard Keys was talking to McCallister, Wilkins and Platt and they were all talking about how they'd heard Chelsea had Barthez as good as signed.

Crazy for me. Cudicini will be back as soon as next week and this Hilario fella is there. I know Cech is out for a year, but still. To me, it screams Jose saying:

"I'm doing this because my 'keepers are in danger and hwo knows when I'll lose another? We will be signing one goalkeeper every week until Petr is back."

Not the last part, obviously..

Barthez is a free agent and experienced, so I guess it makes sense. Well, for a club with more money than sense it probably does.

In truth though, as he's nothing better to do, they could probably pick him up on a short term contract that suits everyone. Will still be weird if it happens though.

its the same with us

klos and letizi was out so we brung in or 3rd choice keeper mcgregor and he played out his skin

why cant hilario not do this and like gribz said a youngster can sit on the bench

even if chelsea did sign barthez he wouldn't be able to play in the champs league until febuary

becasue all the managers have picked their team for the group stage

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho ruled out a move for former France goalkeeper Fabien Barthez after their 1-0 victory over Barcelona on Wednesday.

With Petr Cech and Carlo Cudicini out with head injuries, Hilario stepped in for the Champions League tie.

Barthez is a free agent after recently announcing his retirement.

But Mourinho said: "What we have to try to get is a third goalkeeper and Fabien is not a preferred third goalkeeper. He is a high-profile goalkeeper."

News conference: Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho

He added: "What I know in this moment is that we have 50 agents calling us and, if they call us, they call the press.

"So Fabien Barthez is a name. There are a lot of names in the air. What I know is that Carlo and Hilario are very good goalkeepers and it is not easy for somebody to come and play in this team.

Chelsea are a great side and tough when they go ahead

Barca coach Frank Rijkaard

"We need somebody to give us security and replace Petr Cech in the group of keepers. That is the profile of the goalkeeper we are looking for."

Hilario played his part in helping Chelsea secure the win over Barcelona.