The thing is, the big guy might still be good enough for the SPL, but how long can it last? How long can he stay free of injury? All good things come to an end as they say....

You're twisting my words. I didn't say he embarrassed the club with his performances.

Ok. I don't see how having a player who is a 41 year old and who played tremendously for us last season is an embarrassment to the club. He was our best defender by a country mile last season.

i didnt see too many milan fans complaining when maldini played when he was 41. And he was still a quality player too. If it is good enough for milan.....

ahem *cough*

Either that's selective memory or you're just forgetful Gav. Weir made a fair number of mistakes last season. He still did well overall, especially considering his age, but Celtic had a better defensive record than us last season despite the fact that they had Charlie f'ing Mulgrew in central defense for half the season.

Not often I agree with Gazza, but I dont think you can accuse him of selective memory. For many fans only really the Celtic game stands out as one where he had a nightmare, but it is the nature of judging a players season performance that one or two things are forgotten. It is a testament to how well he performed that people can only immediately recall one game where he had a 'mare along with a half remembered but un-named one or two others. If indeed Weir had even 4 or 5 crap games out of what, maybe, 40-50 played then it would be a bit harsh to blame that on his age.

Not even a POTY award winner would go a full season without having half a dozen poor or anonymous games.

I can see both sides of the argument and I am not sure which side I am on myself but I dont think that Gav was too far wrong with his assessment of Weir's contribution last year.

Ok. I don't see how having a player who is a 41 year old and who played tremendously for us last season is an embarrassment to the club.

You're still not responding to what I actually said. I didn't say Davie Weir himself or his performances were embarrassing.

He's performed extremely well for a man his age, he seems to have been a very good captain since the team spirit has been good and he says the right things to the media/press 90% of the time.

However! He's also 41 now and over the past few seasons the comments from outwith the club regarding his age have been getting steadily worse and bordering on laughing at us for not being able to find a good enough central defender to replace him. Maybe the fact that we haven't been able to replace him says a lot about Davie Weir, but I'm just as inclined to think that it says a lot about our cash situation as a club. We don't have the cash to splash on a cracking central defender, so we'll go with Weir for another season and prey that it isn't a mistake. We certainly won't be signing Cuellar, we might get Bartley on loan from Arsenal if we're lucky and WOW.. there's always the chance that we might bring back Danny Wilson on loan. We should all be ecstatic.

Edited by Zappa

The thing is, the big guy might still be good enough for the SPL, but how long can it last? How long can he stay free of injury? All good things come to an end as they say....

Maybe, but he still looked very strong at the end of the season, including against the Tims. He was a ROCK in the last 9 games. None of us know if he will maintain that form but, for me, until he actually SHOWS that he has lost form, then he should be retained.

ahem *cough*

Strangely enough Danny and, hand on heart, I never even saw your previous post mentioning Maldini - my post came without having seen yours. I just saw it just now when I logged on at home and had a chuckle that we chose the same person to use as an example.... and from completely opposite angles !!

Either that's selective memory or you're just forgetful Gav. Weir made a fair number of mistakes last season. He still did well overall, especially considering his age, but Celtic had a better defensive record than us last season despite the fact that they had Charlie f'ing Mulgrew in central defense for half the season.

I completely disagree with this. From what I recall Weir only really made one glaring mistake the whole season and that was when Hooper skinned him at Parkhead, a turn which would have beaten most defenders. This obviously discounts Europe where we ALL know Weir will struggle against the pace and quality we come up against, but he isnt alone there.

Celtic having a better defensive record than us really cant be used as a rod to poke Weir with when he has fellow defenders also culpable, and not forgetting the midfield being remiss in their defensive duties too.

Weir was EASILY our best defender last season - yes, he had a shaky start to the season but his finish was excellent. I know it is a team game but the way that Weir played in our last 9 games was as important as the form of Jelavic, Naismith & McGregor IMO. One game I distinctly remember was Dundee Utd at Ibrox when we won 2-0. Whilst we were up 2-0 Utd were putting consistent pressure on us and Weir was mammoth at the back.

I dont think he had many mistakes at all last season - though I am sure there was more than just the one I mentioned above - but you can be absolutely certain that it was fewer than any of his fellow defenders.

However! He's also 41 now and over the past few seasons the comments from outwith the club regarding his age have been getting steadily worse and bordering on laughing at us for not being able to find a good enough central defender to replace him. Maybe the fact that we haven't been able to replace him says a lot about Davie Weir, but I'm just as inclined to think that it says a lot about our cash situation as a club. We don't have the cash to splash on a cracking central defender, so we'll go with Weir for another season and prey that it isn't a mistake. We certainly won't be signing Cuellar, we might get Bartley on loan from Arsenal if we're lucky and WOW.. there's always the chance that we might bring back Danny Wilson on loan. We should all be ecstatic.

Why should we care about Weir's age other than if it is affecting his performance ? This is being done to death but the guy was absolutely immense at the back end of last season, so age obviously wasnt a factor then.

As for people laughing at us using a 41 yr old, fuck them. Just go ask the Tims if they would have preferred Weir playing for them at CB rather than the younger Loovens, Majstorovic or Mulgrew. Only the most bitter would have taken ANY of them before Weir and that is even given Weir was 40 at the time.

And I tell you something else, I would STILL rather have a 41 yr old Weir before any of those 3.