Why should we care about Weir's age other than if it is affecting his performance ? This is being done to death but the guy was absolutely immense at the back end of last season, so age obviously wasnt a factor then.

As for people laughing at us using a 41 yr old, fuck them. Just go ask the Tims if they would have preferred Weir playing for them at CB rather than the younger Loovens, Majstorovic or Mulgrew. Only the most bitter would have taken ANY of them before Weir and that is even given Weir was 40 at the time.

And I tell you something else, I would STILL rather have a 41 yr old Weir before any of those 3.

I would rather have Forrest Gump before any of these.:smile:

However! He's also 41 now and over the past few seasons the comments from outwith the club regarding his age have been getting steadily worse and bordering on laughing at us for not being able to find a good enough central defender to replace him. Maybe the fact that we haven't been able to replace him says a lot about Davie Weir, but I'm just as inclined to think that it says a lot about our cash situation as a club. We don't have the cash to splash on a cracking central defender, so we'll go with Weir for another season and prey that it isn't a mistake. We certainly won't be signing Cuellar, we might get Bartley on loan from Arsenal if we're lucky and WOW.. there's always the chance that we might bring back Danny Wilson on loan. We should all be ecstatic.

Who's to say a younger defender wouldn't have made mistakes? Players young and old make mistakes. I think you're being extremely harsh on possibly our best player for 4 and a half seasons. Yes, he's getting older but his performances haven't dropped.

What were the games out of your memory that Weir made "a fair number of mistakes" in? I can think of 1.

You still haven't said why playing Weir is an embarrassment to our club. Or if you have I've missed it.

Edited by Gazza_8

Why should we care about Weir's age other than if it is affecting his performance ? This is being done to death but the guy was absolutely immense at the back end of last season, so age obviously wasnt a factor then.

Agreed. His performances improved as the season went on. If he wasn't good enough or fit enough to play at the level of the SPL, shouldn't his performances have suffered or dropped?

For some reason Weir is being made out to be passed it when he's clearly not.

Suggesting Weir is past it is like Danny trying to assess McCoist's managerial tenure..... premature :thup:

I agree Gav, I felt that Davie Weir got better as the season went on, so he actually got better with age.

I doubt Weir is on a significant salary either, certainly I doubt he is one of the biggest earners - so he is a reasonably low priced, very seasoned and experienced squad member to have.

I dont have any issue with Davie Weir being retained, none at all. We certainly need more than just Davie Weir though.

Guest hurricane_dj

The problem is not necessarily how Weir plays but how the team plays when he is playing, at times we were put under pressure as team went backwards to accommodate Weir. Also if we were doing so well with Weir we wouldn't have had the 2nd best defense in the league which we did behind a supposed weak Celtic defense.

The problem is not necessarily how Weir plays but how the team plays when he is playing, at times we were put under pressure as team went backwards to accommodate Weir. Also if we were doing so well with Weir we wouldn't have had the 2nd best defense in the league which we did behind a supposed weak Celtic defense.

Am I missing something or did we not win the league ?

It matters not whether Celtic's defensive record was better than ours. With Davie Weir as an integral part of our team last year we still won the league. Would you prefer Celtic's better defensive record or the league title ?

Besides, how can you attribute us being the 2nd best defensive unit to Weir ? Were we playing with a one-man defence or were others not also responsible for the defensive record we had ?

Dont get me wrong, we certainly DO play in a manner which attempts to cover Weir's lack of pace... but for three years now that manner has won us the league - who is to say that if we had a younger, faster player in we would have won those league titles ? Weir more than makes up for his pace with his positional sense and knowledge of the game.

Would I want Davie Weir to be our 1st choice CB this season ? No, probably not. Would I want him in the squad ? Absolutely. What none of us can do is foresee the future - this could be a season too far for Weir but it could also be that we replace him with a younger, faster player, we play a more expansive brand of football (many of the fans were critical of the way we played last year despite winning the league) and we could end up losing the league. Would we all be happy if that scenario played out ?

No chance did we win it in spite of Weir.

Sure he had the odd bad contribution but generally he strolled through games and was certainly as able as any other defender in the team. Nevertheless I want us to have a new pairing next season (Cuellar and Bartley would make me giggle like a schoolgirl) but until we sort out new signings then the retention of Weir is a no-brainer.

Sometimes we do sit a bit too deep to accommodate Weir's lack of pace but as we've proven many times (not least in the final 5 or 6 games) that isn't necessary as long as the rest of the team (and particularly the midfield) is functioning properly.

Many might argue we won the league in spite of Weir's failings, rather than because of his strengths and the way we played around him.

Those who suggest that obviously did not watch the last 9 games in which we went unbeaten and Davie Weir was arguably our BEST player in that run-in. Certainly one of our best players !