I said months ago that I prayed the first thing Ally did was to persuade Weir to give up playing. He's gone completely the opposite way and persuaded him to remain on board.

Call me ageist, and I've said this before, but I don't want a 41 year old defender in our team.

I thought Weir was one of, if not THE, best player of the run-in this past season. Sure, that doesnt mean it wont be a season too far but I thought he was absolutely IMMENSE in the last 9 or 10 games.

The man himself has said that he wouldnt expect to play every week so it would seem that his expectations of game time have taken into account his aging body. But Sir David is an intelligent guy and will know full well how his body would handle the rigours of a full season.

Zappa's point is probably the most pertinent in that bringing him in and out of the team probably wont be good for him (or the team) due to it being hard to maintain match sharpness. But if he is also coaching the defenders already there then that would be a bonus too.

Call me ageist, and I've said this before, but I don't want a 41 year old defender in our team.

Same here. I really really appreciate Weir and what he's done over the past few years, but it's just getting a bit embarrassing now. He keeps saying himself that if someone is stupid enough to pay him to keep playing he'll keep playing. Well, we shouldn't be stupid enough IMO. I'd love us to get him in a player/coach capacity where he only plays in a total emergency or something, but having a 41 yr old as a first choice central defender is just not right.

Same here. I really really appreciate Weir and what he's done over the past few years, but it's just getting a bit embarrassing now. He keeps saying himself that if someone is stupid enough to pay him to keep playing he'll keep playing. Well, we shouldn't be stupid enough IMO. I'd love us to get him in a player/coach capacity where he only plays in a total emergency or something, but having a 41 yr old as a first choice central defender is just not right.

I disagree. He was fantastic for us last season and didn't embarrass the club one iota with his performances.

I agree with the player coach, its not embarrassing as such but it isn't the right step forward. Its probably the age thing that makes it look very bad, especially with outsiders looking in.

I disagree. He was fantastic for us last season and didn't embarrass the club one iota with his performances.

I agree he may have struggled for 2 matches 1 against Sporting and another that escapes me but he was under the weather iirc.

You're twisting my words. I didn't say he embarrassed the club with his performances.

A few occasions his age got the better of him - and he was pretty much alone in handing that match at Parkhead to Celtic.

He just isn't the future - he's been a great servant, but I just feel his time should have been up some while ago and he should have bowed out gracefully.

I see him like Paolo Maldini, who kept playing on and on until eventually his final season was absolutely awful and his departure was a whimper, rather than bowing out on a high as the greatest defender the world has maybe ever seen.

I didnt see too many Milan fans complaining when Maldini played when he was 41. And he was still a quality player too. If it is good enough for Milan.....

Davie Weir is still good enough for the SPL. He never was graced with pace and so has learned, very well, to compensate with his knowledge of the game and he does a fine job of it.

But, yes, it is also quite possible it is a season too far.