Cops� bid to axe Gers game in chants row

This is taken from another Forum.

'I was at the match last night and nothing that was sung would be anywhere near this (still to be seen) "banned list"

Both FF and BSoI were sung along with a Davie Weir song and a number of other chants which are Rangers orientated'

Someone says 'Build My Gallows' was sung. Is this the one they are after?

Edited by chilledbear
Clarity

... nor do they know what is sectarian or bigotted or not.

The sooner WE (as in Rangers FC and Whyte) provide a song list of songs perfectly fine, they will continue with this.

But didn't they say it wasn't just about what was being sung but the 'context' in how it was sung and also depends on the police in charge? So basically they can lift you for anything they want depending on how they see it!

Whoever set off the firecrackers should know better. However, going by the accounts of people at the game the 1 song that we have been asked to stop (TBB) was not sung. Another dig at Rangers fans for no reason it seems. Double standards of the tabloid press shown again in particular The Sun.

But didn't they say it wasn't just about what was being sung but the 'context' in how it was sung and also depends on the police in charge? So basically they can lift you for anything they want depending on how they see it!

A good chance for our new leaders to step up to the plate and challenge this

Borrowed from another forum:

Given the conflicting reports in various media outlets concerning the activities at last nights game, I called Stirling Albion to try and get to the bottom of said reports and managed to have a quite lengthy conversation with their (very helpful) press officer Paul Goodwin.

Mr Goodwin, who is happy to be quoted, had the following to say in response;

• There was, to his knowledge, no sectarian singing at all last night. Indeed, he only recognised two of the songs, those being The Sash and Rule Brittania.

• There were announcements made over the tannoys - Police messages that if sectarian singing was indulged in then arrests would be made. There were NO arrests.

• Mr Goodwin stated he felt the announcements were made as a standard warning and not in response to singing.

• A number of journalists were keen to clarify the events last night (Scotsman and BBC amongst them), with one journalist in particular 'tweeting' from the stadium. Mr Goodwin could not determine who that was and so could not confirm the name of the journalist.

• Mr Goodwin was at pains to offer his thanks to The Rangers support at large and how they contributed to a great atmosphere at the game. Indeed, he went on to offer his thanks to the club itself for helping Stirling Albion with this match.

He was keen to have these responses made available to Rangers supporters via our websites, then invited me to email him so he could write something for publication concerning the events. How refreshing - I can't really exaggerate how helpful and positive the gentleman was in responding to my questions.

Would it be possible for one of RM mods or admin to message me and I can pass on Mr Goodwins email so the site itself can publish his written responses? And would anyone know how best to inform our club itself of the spin being placed on the events at a pre-season friendly?

I dread to think what the press have planned for us if there is this level of motivation and interest at a match vs Stirling Albion.