Whyte can't win with some Gers fans

As I'm sure most of you do I am a member of a couple of Gers fan sites including this one. Going by some of them and what's been said on my Facebook Mr Whyte simply can't win with some fans.

If we are outbid by other clubs he gets slated and now when we bid over �£1 million for a full back in the last year of his contract he gets slated as well.

We have had a bid accepted for Cuellar and have made other bids for players which is in stark contrast to previous seasons. We have also signed up 5 players who took to the field at Rugby Park on the final game of the season - three on long term deals.

The reason Rangers were in such a financial mess was because we paid over the odds for too many average players so I'm glad Mr Whyte is trying to being as astute as possible in the transfer market.

Fair points mate.

Supporting a football club is an emotional process so most of us aren't always consistent in our arguments. Some bears are rather fickle and difficult to understand at times though.

You know what they say about opinions and arse-holes though... ;)

Just posted something along these lines in the transfer thread. Should maybe move it here. Agree with the OP wholeheartedly though.

Post copied below:

Another bear down south asking why we're spending this money but not willing to go another 400k (ish) on Miller.

Part of the financial strategy under the new board that rbr amongst others has been praising? Decide our value on a player and refuse to exceed it? Or not spending significant money (for us anything over 500k) on a player who does not have sell on value?

It really is hard though to understand our transfer strategy this summer.

Edited by Super_Ally

Although I'm disappointed we haven't managed to bring more new faces in by this stage I am not disappointed with how things are going I like the fact Mr Whyte is prepared to play a waiting game and get best possible deal for our club

Guest Dutchy

As much as I want to see some new players in, I don't want us going down the road of paying over the odds. If any money is to be spent, I'd prefer it to be on young guys, from anywhere in the world and sell them on.

Having said that, we do need a couple of more experienced players, NOW!

Guest Dutchy

As much as I want to see some new players in, I don't want us going down the road of paying over the odds. If any money is to be spent, I'd prefer it to be on young guys, from anywhere in the world and sell them on.

Having said that, we do need a couple of more experienced players, NOW!

Great post. I think, to some extent, it's just the fans job simply to make irrational demands all the time - demand top signings, demand to win the league, demand fiscal responsibility, demand nicer pies - even when they are inconsistent. That way we form a big pressure group so that the people with actual power are kept on their toes.

That said, I think that any degree of reflection would suggest that there's a new approach. We're buying younger players with sell on value, and are willing to push the boat out a little there, but not too much. We'll get experience in, too, but only if the price is right . We've signed up our key players with the biggest sell on value on long term contracts. It seems suspiciously like the long term strategic planning we've been harping on about for ages. This inevitably means that we're not going to get the high drama of signing after signing whatever the cost. Everyone at Ibrox knows we need players, and they aren't resting on their laurels. They just wont be bumped like dafties.

Part of the problem is that they are doing everything so publicly and getting fans' hopes up.

They should not speak about any player until it's signed and sealed and then there wouldn't be the same level of criticism when a deal falls through for whatever reason.

Part of the problem is that they are doing everything so publicly and getting fans' hopes up.

They should not speak about any player until it's signed and sealed and then there wouldn't be the same level of criticism when a deal falls through for whatever reason.

I understand what you're saying BD,but can you imagine if there was nothing coming out of Ibrox regarding possible signings,it would drive some fans crazy

Edited by ian1964