Goian in now for Goodie

RANGERS are set to launch another swoop for David Goodwillie after re-opening talks with Dundee United last night.

SunSport can reveal Gers contacted Tannadice chairman Stephen Thompson just minutes after the striker's rape charge was officially dropped.

Goodwillie could be Ally McCoist's next signing after the capture of Dorin Goian yesterday.

United want �£2million for the 22-year-old hitman with Thompson determined to hold out for that amount.

He saw Gers pay �£1.5m to Hearts for Lee Wallace and believes his biggest asset is worth more.

SunSport understands Gers reopened negotiations at a down payment of �£1m plus �£400,000 in add-ons.

United will NOT accept those terms but it's expected McCoist will sanction a higher offer.

Goodwillie has huge potential having scored 17 goals last term.

McCoist plans to play him alongside Nikica Jelavic in a new-look frontline.

Cardiff City and Blackpool are also still interested with United desperate to rake in as much money as possible for a player who signed a new three-year deal before the end of last season.

Gers, meanwhile, completed the signing of Romanian stopper Goian from Palermo on a three-year deal.

But they were still to secure a work permit last night and it is highly unlikely he'll face Malmo tonight.

Goian said: "I am glad to be here. I am joining a very big club and I want to win lots of trophies here."

McCoist insists Goian's arrival does NOT mean Madjid Bougherra will leave.

The Ibrox boss knocked back a �£2.7m bid for the Algerian from mega-rich Qatari outfit Lekhwiya and he said: "I don't want Madjid to go anywhere."

McCoist still hopes to sign another centre-half with Carlos Cuellar and Anderlecht's Ronald Juhasz still on his radar.

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3714751/Goian-in-now-for-Goodie.html#ixzz1TA3qTuc7

RANGERS are poised to launch another move for Dundee United striker David Goodwillie after a rape charge hanging over him since last January was dropped last night.

Ibrox bosses will meet today to thrash out a third offer for the prolific hitman, who has been valued at �£2million by the Tannadice club.

Manager Ally McCoist remains keen to add the 22-year-old Scotland international, above, to his squad, despite the fact he would be unavailable for Champions League qualifying games because he played in United’s doomed Europa Cup campaign against Polish side Slask Wroclaw.

Rangers had cooled their interest while legal decisions were pending and when Cardiff City revealed they were prepared to pay United’s asking price.

But with the rape case dropped, and Cardiff opting instead to sign ex-Ibrox star Kenny Miller from Turkish outfit Bursaspor, the Scottish champions are set to increase their most recent �£1m offer for the Young Player of the Year in a final attempt to strike a deal.

Rangers sources last night confirmed that a new bid could be tabled within the next 48 hours.

But they stressed again they would not be held to ransom and had other signing targets still in the frame.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/261109/Rangers-David-Goodwillie-bid-No-3

Guest Dutchy

If we really want him, we need to up our bid to nearer the asking price, or this will be another target down the tubes.

I don't know how much say Goodwillie himself has on this issue, but I'm fairly sure as a United player, they have the whip hand.

we are an embarrassment in the transfer market. we continually offer under the odds and are constantly rejected.

im starting to think that someone in the boardroom is taking the piss. the not being held to ransom line is wearing pretty thin with me now and i think its time we started making realistic offers for our targets.

Our efforts so far seem very half hearted considering what is at stake.

Aye that's right, we should just offer what a club want, whether it is proper valuation or not.

I find it incredible that we still have this mentality of "just give them what they want" when it is EXACTLY that mentality which had our club at the brink of collapse more than once, and those same fans were mum ping and moaning about that too.

Never has the proverb "damned if you do, damned if you don't" been more apt.

I find it more embarrassing when we sign a player for over a million quid, find out he is shite and then have to pay him off with a bunch of money we don't have.

I much prefer the financial prudence we re currently operating under. Sure, I will be just as disappointed as the next bear when we miss out on signing targets but at least we are being cautious with our finances, which is more important than spending 2 mill on Goodwillie in my opinion.

Whilst we can say the club are an embarrassment in the transfer market it could also be said that some fans are an embarrassment they way that they have a constant gripe about the club, wit very little credit being given where it is due (not you gisa, just in general)

Edited by craig

Why pay over the odds for every player? Whyte and Ali Russell are trying to get the best value possible for the club. I posted a thread last week saying exactly the same thing. It seems that Craig whyte just can't win with some fans. Some fans would be quite happy if we were offering 15k a week for average players like Craig Conway