What do you think of our business so far?

I have been very impressed with the way we have conducted ourselves, I would have preferred we hadn't kept going back to United with improved offers for Goodwillie, it would have been better to draw the line under that one at 2 million. However no harm no foul.

I have a theory that the whole strategy of playing out these transfer sagas in the media is a deliberate one to demonstrate to the fans that there are huge efforts to bring players in. Imagine if they had kept quiet on all these transfers that we have missed out on? If they had not mentioned a thing about the ones that got away. As fans we would be looking at that and saying WTF are the management doing? In the past when it was all done under the radar and behind the scenes, we thought there was nothing progressing, now looking at the difficulties our management have in convincing real talent to come to Scotland gives me a new appreciation for the difficulty of the task they face.

We cannot offer competitive salaries, we cannot offer a glamorous location, we cannot offer high quality opponents every week, we cannot promise exposure to your national teams for those with the ambition to play for their country, and we cannot promise you won't get your legs broken by Ian Black.

We had the attraction of the Champions league but that is gone now and anyway it was only really an attraction if you can compete at that level and with the inability to attract sufficient numbers we will continue to struggle to compete.

All we have to offer to neutral footballers is that we are the worlds most successful domestic club and could be a stepping stone to the EPL but even that is proving to be a bit of a myth with very few players leaving Scotland to shine in the EPL.

Given these restrictions, I think the management team are doing a fantastic job in their transfer dealings, they know what positions need to be filled, they have identified numerous targets and they have set the valuations of them and are working through them methodically. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the number of players we have missed out on this summer was absolutely in keeping with previous seasons we just have not had visibility in the past.

We still have a 3 weeks left until the transfer window shuts and I am fully supportive of the strategy the club is taking. Do not overpay for mediocrity and carry on trying to fill the positions they know need filled

To be bringing in new players fills me with joy and excitement! For far too long we have been unable to bring in fresh players and increase our squad size due to financial restrictions, hats off to the players that secured 3IAR, but this is a new season and a new manager in charge and I hope we can add further additions to our squad, it feels like we are proper club now that we can go and buy players and I'm happy with that :)

To be bringing in new players fills me with joy and excitement! For far too long we have been unable to bring in fresh players and increase our squad size due to financial restrictions, hats off to the players that secured 3IAR, but this is a new season and a new manager in charge and I hope we can add further additions to our squad, it feels like we are proper club now that we can go and buy players and I'm happy with that :)

Seems to me CW is beginning to walk the walk:boogie:

Seems to me CW is beginning to walk the walk:boogie:

Not necessarily. How much has ACTUALLY been spent ?

I am not saying he isnt, I am playing devils advocate. But he said 5 mill per season and even with the two signings today we arent close to that figure - so there will be plenty of fans who will say he isnt walking the walk.

We still have more time till the window closes and hopefully we will see another couple of bodies (striker and creative mid) and I will be very happy indeed.

Do I think he is "walking the walk" ? Lets just say that the signs are there that he at least is opening the purse strings, but a couple more signings would have me much more convinced.

Not necessarily. How much has ACTUALLY been spent ?

I am not saying he isnt, I am playing devils advocate. But he said 5 mill per season and even with the two signings today we arent close to that figure - so there will be plenty of fans who will say he isnt walking the walk.

We still have more time till the window closes and hopefully we will see another couple of bodies (striker and creative mid) and I will be very happy indeed.

Do I think he is "walking the walk" ? Lets just say that the signs are there that he at least is opening the purse strings, but a couple more signings would have me much more convinced.

Ach away man,lighten up,you're gonna have me depressed

Ach away man,lighten up,you're gonna have me depressed

Moi ? Surely not Ian.

Seriously though, we still havent spent that much money NET. However, what CAN be said, is that we have still managed to strengthen the squad even though we havent spent a lot of money.

Wallace : 1.5 mill (looks like a very decent signing)

Goian : 800k (also looks like an astute signing)

Bocanegra : ?? - would guess at 700k, who knows ?? (experienced, should prove to be a very decent piece of business)

Ortiz : was it 800k ?? (Jury out but needs time to settle)

Bartley : Assume maybe 200k for a loan fee ? (we all know what we get with the big man, decent loan signing).

Bedoya : Assume 400k ?

So that is a total of about 4.4 million in spending. We did, however, recoup 1.7 mill from the sale of Bougherra (someone who clearly didnt want to be here and who also had lost form and interest). We also lost Diouf & Weiss back to their parent clubs.

So net we have spent about 2.7 million. Numbers wise we are 3 ahead. However, of the 3 that have left only Weiss will be a miss IMO. For all that Bougherra is a decent player he just wasnt interested and his performances showed that. So Weiss hasnt really been replaced. Bougherra most certainly has (by more than one person) and Diouf was ineffective anyway, but he has also been replaced in Bedoya too.

Just as important as these though, the fact we have extended the contracts of our best players (and Whittaker too, I suppose - hey, you cant get EVERYTHING right) also means that we are planning for the FUTURE, rather than transfer window by transfer window.

I dont think there is any doubt that we are now a stronger team and squad. And that means that I am quite happy with what we have done in this transfer window.

But if, just IF, we could get that additional striker and creative mid in.... I will be one very happy Bear with what we have done in the transfer window this time round.

That better Ian ? :D