The importance of tomorrow

imho tomorrow is the biggest match of Ally's fledgling managerial career at Ibrox.

Many might argue the lost �£20m of the Malmo tie (although who's to say we'd have won in the play off round) makes that pair of games bigger, but tomorrow's match is against the premier league leaders who have not yet conceded a goal.

Pound for pound we should be a better team than Motherwell, but we've been so darn inconsistent this season that I ain't just automatically expecting us to win.

We've struggled in 2 out of 3 SPL games so far - drawing with Hearts, scraping to a two penalty victory over ICT. This match tomorrow will tell us a lot, if not everything, about how far Ally has come during the opening stages of the SPL, and how much of an understanding he has of our best team.

He really needs a convincing win to get back on track after the disappointment of Maribor.

Every single game is a massive game for us and especially for Ally as a new manager. If we give them the chance, Motherwell will seriously test our back line, so we need to press them, pressure them and ideally score a couple of first half goals without leaving them space to catch us out and conceding ourselves.

There's a Facebook page slagging him off saying he'll be back on QoS by January. Obviously a page set up by a tim, but I do hope Ally starts to get some rhythm and tomorrow would be a good place to start.

We need solidity and consistency - his regime has been completely stuttering and stop start so far.

There's a Facebook page slagging him off saying he'll be back on QoS by January. Obviously a page set up by a tim, but I do hope Ally starts to get some rhythm and tomorrow would be a good place to start.

We need solidity and consistency - his regime has been completely stuttering and stop start so far.

We had a pretty poor start to the SPL under Walter the season before last with 4 draws (including 2 at home) and a loss up in Aberdeen in our first 12 games, meaning we dropped 11 out of 36 points.

I do remember we had 3 0-0 draws in a row with 3 sending offs in that sequence. I still feel that this game is crucial otherwise people will get on Ally's back, probably Walter was slightly under pressure in that sequence a couple of seasons ago but a rookie gets it a whole lot tougher.

We had a pretty poor start to the SPL under Walter the season before last with 4 draws (including 2 at home) and a loss up in Aberdeen in our first 12 games, meaning we dropped 11 out of 36 points.

I do remember we had 3 0-0 draws in a row with 3 sending offs in that sequence. I still feel that this game is crucial otherwise people will get on Ally's back, probably Walter was slightly under pressure in that sequence a couple of seasons ago but a rookie gets it a whole lot tougher.

The thing though was that Walter had the experience to turn it around. He also wasn't under as much pressure as the majority had faith in him. A poor result today followed by another during the week and it could turn into another PLG season.

I have faith in Ally though and know we will start to play.

General remark: Rangers are expected to win every game. Rangers supporters expect them to win every game. Over the course of these successful years, Rangers supporters have developed a mentality - arrogant I'd call it - to debase the ability of essentially every other Scottish team bar them, which IMHO shows an incredible amount of disrespect to these footballers. Not least since we use and used these teams as a source of our best players over decades. I for one tend to give every team the respect they deserve. Some deserve more, some deserve nigh none (Aberdeen?).

As for these make or break stuff, IMHO utter bampottery. It is the fourth weekend of the league season, half the team is injured, half of our new signings are not here, some folk still lack a bit of sharpness. We have faced pretty difficult games so far (St. Johnstone apart) - by SPL standards - and we will face one today too. There is every chance that we might lose to the in-form team too. That said, we can essentially field the same team that slaughtered them there at the tail end of last season. It will be tough, but at no time in living (and dead) memory has a fixture in August decided the destination of the title or the job of a manager.

Edited by der Berliner