The players let Ally down...again

Two European ties this season and once again the players have let Ally down again. In Malmo Whittaker and Bougherra were both stupidly sent off while Jelavic and Naismith missed golden opportunities in front of goal.

Now onto Maribor. Never mind the goals we conceded over in Slovenia over the two legs we blew four absolute sitters. If you have that many chances and don't take them then frankly you don't deserve to go through

Ally got his team selection spot on last night (only one I would argue with was swapping Edu for Kyle Hutton) but the players simply lost their bottle in front of goal.

I have to agree.....

The team selection looked good, but the players just didn't perform. I don't think it would have mattered who was in charge, the outcome would have been the same - it was the PLAYERS that failed.

However, come the last 20mins we looked like a completely different team - we were all over them, yet failed to put the ball in the net when the chances arose. Why did they not play like that for the other 70 mins???

It was a very capable Rangers team out there last night, but form inconsistency put us out.

Wuile I agree with all that is being said I would also go a step further by accusing Craig Whyte of being the biggest let down of the lot. He promised us millions for transfers but dragged his heels on everyone of our major targets giving me the impression that their never was funds to sign these players in the first place.

Wuile I agree with all that is being said I would also go a step further by accusing Craig Whyte of being the biggest let down of the lot. He promised us millions for transfers but dragged his heels on everyone of our major targets giving me the impression that their never was funds to sign these players in the first place.

That's the impression I get too and why I wrote the thing about the transfer kitty being left in Malmo. Serious funds for Ally were always dependent on staying in Europe IMO. If Whyte gets the money out and signs a quality player or two then fine, but it won't change my thoughts on why we missed out on so many transfer targets because I don't think the money was ever there in the first place, I think it would have been 'found' if we had stayed in Europe for the CL or EL group stages.

I have to agree.....

The team selection looked good, but the players just didn't perform. I don't think it would have mattered who was in charge, the outcome would have been the same - it was the PLAYERS that failed.

However, come the last 20mins we looked like a completely different team - we were all over them, yet failed to put the ball in the net when the chances arose. Why did they not play like that for the other 70 mins???

It was a very capable Rangers team out there last night, but form inconsistency put us out.

That's always my moan about euro nights why do we look so scared to play against nothing more than average teams in Europe.

By the time we get started the game is usually over.

I have to agree.....

There's a couple of reasons - at 2-1 from the first leg a 1-0 home win would have done it, we had to be careful of a goal which would turn the need for 1 goal without reply to 3 goals with no reply - a huge difference and a tight rope to walk.

After the goal things changed in two ways - we had to go for it regardless as we needed at least two goals before full time and also Maribor realised they'd be better sitting back and defending as they had a two goal cushion.

When you get that situation it always looks like one team is bombarding the other but it's the circumstances that dictate. It's why the English went on and on about Leeds bombarding our goal which they seen as proof of their true superiority; however, we were so far ahead that it was better to defend than risk a flurry of goals while we try to add to the score.

The difference with that game and this is that we dominated Maribor from start to finish and they just got in a lucky sucker punch and actually rode the storm for pretty much the whole 90 minutes as it was there regardless of the goal. The goal just meant that we had to take more risks.

The players contracts should now be tore up and re-written, where the hell are rangers going to get the money now to pay the big wages to mcgregor Davis and co?

it wouldn't surprise me if a fourth kit was launched and more friendlies lined up in midweek to cover just a fraction of what we have lost in european revenue! :(

Guest Dutchy
Jelavic is a major culprit this season. He is blowing big chances - yes, he's getting into the right positions but his finishing is anything but clinical.

He also dosen't seem to be able to get on the end of Wylde's crosses.:whistle:

I still say we show these teams far too much respect. Respect yes, but waiting right to the end of the game before putting in any effort? That's a wrong tactic.

The players contracts should now be tore up and re-written, where the hell are rangers going to get the money now to pay the big wages to mcgregor Davis and co?

it wouldn't surprise me if a fourth kit was launched and more friendlies lined up in midweek to cover just a fraction of what we have lost in european revenue! :(

;)

Just over an hour after going out of European football on Thursday night the official site ran a news article advertising that JJB rangersmegastore have launched a new range of clothing as a tribute to the founding fathers - http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20110825/founding-fathers-collection_2254024_2399284