If you sign Juan Manuel Ortiz, you'll struggle.

Aye, he's scored as many goals for us in Europe as Kenny Miller did in three seasons of chances in Europe. IE - ONE!! Then again, Charlie Adam scored some important goals for us in Europe, but he's supposedly shite as well......

That is the problem with footballers. They tend to either develope, stagnate, or become worse. And this lousy bunch is hard to predict too. Adam has developed and big time. Good to see him flourish. For 1 Adam, there are 5 whio stagnate though, and 10 who drop by the wayside ... when they go to e.g. England. Wayside does mean that they play football in low key Championship, 1st and 2nd division teams ... and fall out of the main picture.

As for the OP's headline, I have no clue whatsoever about the slagging of Ortiz. I see no reason for that, whenever he's on the park, he works his socks of and delivers more to a game than those people we shifted out there before - except Weiss (who basically is just Weiss) and Wylde (on occasion). 100% pro from what I have seen and well capable to handle all what the SPL will throw at him. Novo, for example, did not exactly ran riot in Scotland before we snatched him up from mighty Dundee.

TBH if Danny thinks we are going to spend �£15m he should give up football.

Shouldn't that be 'If Danny hopes'...?

I never actually believed we'd spend the money we need to - remember that Record story from Traynor saying Whyte had given Ally 15M quid and some on here believed it? Hence the problem.

I hope this isn't over your head as well.

As for the OP's headline, I have no clue whatsoever about the slagging of Ortiz. I see no reason for that, whenever he's on the park, he works his socks of and delivers more to a game than those people we shifted out there before - except Weiss (who basically is just Weiss) and Wylde (on occasion). 100% pro from what I have seen and well capable to handle all what the SPL will throw at him.

1: You've missed the point. In fact, quite a few of you have.

2: You're clearly seeing a different Ortiz to the one that's actually playing. I have nothing against him but he's a poor signing, and a symptom of our current lack of decent signings and personnel. Well capable of handling what the SPL throws at him? I don't mean to be rude but you're talking rot.

1: You've missed the point. In fact, quite a few of you have.

2: You're clearly seeing a different Ortiz to the one that's actually playing. I have nothing against him but he's a poor signing, and a symptom of our current lack of decent signings and personnel. Well capable of handling what the SPL throws at him? I don't mean to be rude but you're talking rot.

Why don't wanting to be rude when you are, actually? I differ from your opinion, an opinion that is obviously based on different standards, like ... Weiss, Laudrup, or a Diouf maybe. It would be easy if you'd just accept that. But lets reserve judgement on that "woeful" Spaniard till the end of the season then.

As for decent signings ... all a matter of opinion too, as I said in the rumours thread.

Ortiz was very poor the other night but before that had been doing reasonably well enough given the team has been generally only fair-to-middling so far this season.

FWIW, I don't think he was signed as a first XI player but what he'll offer is depth, versatility and as such will prove to be a useful (though probably average) signing. I'm comfortable enough with that as not every signing has to be either brilliant or a failure.

Why don't wanting to be rude when you are, actually? I differ from your opinion, an opinion that is obviously based on different standards, like ... Weiss, Laudrup, or a Diouf maybe. It would be easy if you'd just accept that. But lets reserve judgement on that "woeful" Spaniard till the end of the season then.

As for decent signings ... all a matter of opinion too, as I said in the rumours thread.

No, it's based on the fact that for his first 4 or 5 matches he couldn't cross, beat a man, or show pace. I wasn't comparing him to anyone or any standard. He got played on the right and fair play to the lad he did look a bit better, a bit more confident and ran at a player or two, which pleased me greatly. That was him on the right against Motherwell iirc. But then he was on the right again against Maribor and was utterly horrible.

I apologise if I insulted your opinion, I just feel very strongly that certain signings we're making aren't up to the task of taking the club forward. And that they're more starch than steak.

Ortiz was very poor the other night but before that had been doing reasonably well enough given the team has been generally only fair-to-middling so far this season.

FWIW, I don't think he was signed as a first XI player but what he'll offer is depth, versatility and as such will prove to be a useful (though probably average) signing. I'm comfortable enough with that as not every signing has to be either brilliant or a failure.

I don't think he offers depth or versatility because you have to be able to play different positions reasonably in order to do that. The old Whittaker was like that - could play CB, RB, LB, LW, RW, even CM quite darn well. McCulloch of a season or two ago too - CM, LM, striker (occasionally), even defender.

But Ortiz struggles (bar the match V Motherwell where the whole team played well) to do anything of note.

And I don't blame him for any of this - I blame our circumstances for making signings of that standard.

There's nothing about Ortiz which makes me see him as any better than Capucho.

Guest Dutchy

I thought he looked not too bad as well in some games and he seemed to be trying to do things wihich just failed to come off. I'm sure he will contribute in the season ahead and I was begging for him to come on yesterday with Naismith obviously carrying an injury.

Fans sure know a player when they see him, that's why Charlie Adam scored for Liverpool yesterday, because all the Gers fans wanted him out of Ibrox to further his career. So considerate of them.

That last part was only a wee sarcy joke, don't take it too seriously.