Police warn against Old Firm-related domestic violence

The amount of domestic calls the police get before, during and after an OF game doubles at least. You're guaranteed that after an OF game when the supporters return to the houses after watching their team win, lose or draw a domestic incident occurs and every police unit in that area is assigned to said incidents.

It's the same at xmas and new year.

Dutchy, you can't stop people consuming alcohol. If they want to get pished then they'll find a way.

It's about time people/fans took some responsibility rather than blame everyone else.

What responsability can most fans take? They can't stop anyone going home and hitting their partners if they get angry about their team losing or something else? Drink plays a massive part in all violence but lets blame football again.

Stuart Waiton - Snobs' Law Rides Again

Press release 16th/17th September

SNOBS' LAW RIDES AGAIN

Take a Liberty (Scotland) opposes this Old Bill authoritarian snobbery.

The promotion of the idea of ‘Old Firm Domestic Violence’ by the police just before the Celtic – Rangers game is once again a reflection of the snobbery of the Scottish elites towards football fans.

That domestic incidents may increase when large numbers of people celebrate and drink is hardly a surprise. The fact that this is being used as a way to condemn and criminalise only old firm fans is a disgrace.

An alternative press release could just as easily read as follows,

‘Old Bill Domestic Violence’

Figures just out indicate that when the Old Bill have their annual knees up there is a 17% increase in domestic violence reported by policemen and women’s partners. Researchers at Take a Liberty (Scotland) say that ‘drink is no excuse’ and we should no longer accept this sort of behaviour by police officers.

The targeting of Old Firm fans is clearly politically driven and relates to the Offensive Behaviour in Football Bill. That press releases and campaigns of this nature are only about football fans is illustrative of a profound snobbery within sections of the Scottish elite. The targeting of one section of society in this way is deeply troubling and profoundly authoritarian.

Perhaps the British police should check out the Nottinghill carnival and search for domestic violence carried out by black men against their wives and put out some headlines like, ‘Blacks beat their wives when drunk’. Of course this would be seen as racist and reactionary in its targeting of black people. But when it comes to white working-class Old Firm fans the police and authorities feel they can treat this section of society like scum.

As it happens, major celebrations like Christmas and Hogmanay also see increases in domestic violence and probably many other forms of drink-related crime. Perhaps we should be arresting Santa and banning Xmas as well.

The amount of domestic calls the police get before, during and after an OF game doubles at least. You're guaranteed that after an OF game when the supporters return to the houses after watching their team win, lose or draw a domestic incident occurs and every police unit in that area is assigned to said incidents.

It's the same at xmas and new year.

Dutchy, you can't stop people consuming alcohol. If they want to get pished then they'll find a way.

It's about time people/fans took some responsibility rather than blame everyone else.

Exactly. And this is not an OF problem - it's a social problem of which the OF is part, as are a million other things.

What responsability can most fans take? They can't stop anyone going home and hitting their partners if they get angry about their team losing or something else? Drink plays a massive part in all violence but lets blame football again.

Mate, every Saturday night and Sunday morning the police deal with complaints of assault and serious assault outside and inside nightclubs. These incidents have nothing to do with football and no one is saying they do.

Before, during and after an OF game people drink alcohol and some go home (some even do it in the pub or outside the pub) and either verbally abuse their partner or assault them. Is it not the responsibility of these people not to indulge in such behaviour? I don't why so many people want to argue with their partners over a game of football. I've been to the incidents, I've read the incidents regarding the ones I haven't been at. That has nothing to do with politicians but has everything to do with the drunk arseholes who can't take it when their team gets beat.

My opinions are based on OF days where I'm based. Nothing else.

Exactly. And this is not an OF problem - it's a social problem of which the OF is part, as are a million other things.

Domestic incidents happen all the time but for some reason peak on OF match days.

It has absolutely nothing to do with Rangers FC or Celtic FC but everything to do with the fans.

I have not seen any trouble at the football for years,certainly not at Ibrox. In fact Scottish football on a whole must be the envy of the rest of Europe when it comes to football violence. Just because the domestic violence goes up around Derby day what has that got to do with football??,nothing I'd say.

Agree with the part in bold Ian. I've been going to football matches for about 25 years and have never seen any violence inside our outside the stadium. Not that I can remember anyway.

Domestic violence always peaks during OF games. That's not a coincidence.

Agree with the part in bold Ian. I've been going to football matches for about 25 years and have never seen any violence inside our outside the stadium. Not that I can remember anyway.

Domestic violence always peaks during OF games. That's not a coincidence.

I agree with you 100%. I just don't like the way it is being put down to football,it is arseholes who cannot handle drink.

I agree with you 100%. I just don't like the way it is being put down to football,it is arseholes who cannot handle drink.

I think it related to football because they're out watching the game in the pub. Just my thought.

I think it related to football because they're out watching the game in the pub. Just my thought.

It's like blaming a festival organiser when a bunch of the revellers cause a small riot.

Almost all social problems in this country are related to alcohol and the abuse of it.

Any vehicle will do - it just so happens in Glasgow/Scotland the OF will see many people at home having booze and getting emotional at the match and taking it out on their spouse. But it's not down to Rangers or Celtic to deal with it, it's down to our very ill society to recover. And I doubt it ever will.

I know what you're saying. I go to the pub to watch some games that I can't attend and I also go to games but I don't go home and beat up my wife,mind you I probably couldn't beat her up:smile:.

At the end of the day arseholes are arseholes,if they have previous for this then why don't they get 5 years in prison,oh wait you only get that for singing songs!!