Police warn against Old Firm-related domestic violence

It's like blaming a festival organiser when a bunch of the revellers cause a small riot.

Almost all social problems in this country are related to alcohol and the abuse of it.

Any vehicle will do - it just so happens in Glasgow/Scotland the OF will see many people at home having booze and getting emotional at the match and taking it out on their spouse. But it's not down to Rangers or Celtic to deal with it, it's down to our very ill society to recover. And I doubt it ever will.

Correct..........................................

I know what you're saying. I go to the pub to watch some games that I can't attend and I also go to games but I don't go home and beat up my wife,mind you I probably couldn't beat her up:smile:.

At the end of the day arseholes are arseholes,if they have previous for this then why don't they get 5 years in prison,oh wait you only get that for singing songs!!

Arseholes are arseholes indeed. But Glasgow (and Scotland) have an appalling alcohol problem which brings out the very worst in these arseholes.

I haven't heard any evidence it's got anything to do with football - including any domestic arguments. Why would a couple argue about football. It's more likely the guy gets drunk watching the game, comes home (or is at home), gets a bit arsey, wife complains, argument starts, results in violence.

The fact that more men get drunk and abusive during OF games is neither here nor there, just like you can't really blame Christmas, birthdays or New Year for increased violence due to drinking.

The stupid thing is that the numbers are so low, the government want to totally mess with the OF to stop something like 12 to 30 people (out of what 200,000?) committing a domestic crime... talk about disproportionate.

If women actually just left abusive husbands and vice versa, the problem would drop to bugger all. I don't know why the rest of us who don't abuse their partners have to suffer and also be labelled as wife beaters just because of our nation of birth.

Mate, every Saturday night and Sunday morning the police deal with complaints of assault and serious assault outside and inside nightclubs. These incidents have nothing to do with football and no one is saying they do.

Before, during and after an OF game people drink alcohol and some go home (some even do it in the pub or outside the pub) and either verbally abuse their partner or assault them. Is it not the responsibility of these people not to indulge in such behaviour? I don't why so many people want to argue with their partners over a game of football. I've been to the incidents, I've read the incidents regarding the ones I haven't been at. That has nothing to do with politicians but has everything to do with the drunk arseholes who can't take it when their team gets beat.

My opinions are based on OF days where I'm based. Nothing else.

You know some people don't give a toss about responsability or anything really. It's certainly a social problem but not a football problem IMO, but the teams always seem to get blamed from what I read, the headlines certainly say this anyway, front page news etc. Do these people hit their partners at other times when they get drunk or high regardless of when football is on, probably yes i'd say. I know the stats say it goes up when an old firm game is on, but it's only because more people go out or stay in and drink and a lot are probably on drugs a well, some people are just plain thugs, some people clearly have mental issues. It is again the minority of the popluation but the game then gets dragged into it and used as an excuse.

The stupid thing is that the numbers are so low, the government want to totally mess with the OF to stop something like 12 to 30 people (out of what 200,000?) committing a domestic crime... talk about disproportionate.

I'm curious, where do you get your figures from?

If women actually just left abusive husbands and vice versa, the problem would drop to bugger all.

What about if there are no previous domestic incidents between between Mr and Mrs Smith? How does she or he know that she or he is in a relationship with an abusive partner? Also, many people find it very, very hard to leave their abusive partners for reasons only known to them.

Jumping the gun.

Edited by Gazza_8

I've not been involved in domestic abuse but I doubt it's easy for the victims 'just to leave', there could be lots of reasons why they stay. I'm sure leaving is the hardest part especially if there is kids involved it may actually get worse.

It would be be good to know the actual domestic abuse reasons at OF times as there is so many different kinds. IMO when it goes up at OF games it will be mainly due to drink or drugs, which is why it's nothing to do with football, I may of couse be totally wrong though.

I'm sure I heard on the radio that the police made a lot of home visits to warn known offenders/abusers about their behaviour for the game tomorrow?,so that tells me they already know who is likely to commit these type of offences,why not tell them if the police are called tomorrow then they will be lifted?.

I'm sure I heard on the radio that the police made a lot of home visits to warn known offenders/abusers about their behaviour for the game tomorrow?,so that tells me they already know who is likely to commit these type of offences,why not tell them if the police are called tomorrow then they will be lifted?.

Correct. I was doing them on Thursday. If the police are called to their house on Sunday then they will be lifted. That was the whole point of going to their houses to warn them.

Firstly I got my numbers from the police statement to the press - if they are wrong then what are the real numbers?

Secondly I was being deliberately global about partners leaving - the point being that what is a more realistic solution to domestic violence, that or moving a highly watched football match to a Monday morning?

Seems obvious to me that the latter seems crazy compared to the former - but look how quick people are to jump on the pc band wagon...