Police warn against Old Firm-related domestic violence

What I am trying to say is, the same people do the abusing.

If the abusers were put away, there would be very few abuse calls.

They are blaming football, instead of the culprits. IMO

The same people don't do the abuse. Well, you get the usual suspects and victims but on OF days you get calls to houses and families you wouldn't expect to be called too.

There's no doubting that alcohol plays a huge part but so does an OF match. Like I said before the OF last week, people need to take responsibility for their actions but they just couldn't care less.

It happens every time Rangers play Celtic, the number of domestic abuse calls increase. It's not a coincidence. It's a combination of the OF playing and alcohol.

So domestic abuse calls don't increase on other big days where people are heavily drinking? I bet they increase on Friday and Saturday nights. I bet they increase over the Xmas and New Year period too....

So domestic abuse calls don't increase on other big days where people are heavily drinking? I bet they increase on Friday and Saturday nights. I bet they increase over the Xmas and New Year period too....

They do increase but they hit new highs when the OF play. Again, I'm just talking about the area I work in, nowhere else.

They do increase but they hit new highs when the OF play. Again, I'm just talking about the area I work in, nowhere else.

Out of the additional OF related calls you get it would be interesting to find out the statistics on how many of them are due to a husband supporting one side and wife supporting the other.

Out of the additional OF related calls you get it would be interesting to find out the statistics on how many of them are due to a husband supporting one side and wife supporting the other.

Or if it's higher lower depending on who wins loses, being the son of a wife beater and seen it up close if your that way inclined you don't need drink but it lowers the snapping point to next to nothing.

The police are like every other public service and on the receiving end of funding cuts and are just pleading poverty IMO taking the heat of themselves.

Maybe if it sorted out the corrupt officers within the force that might help and get on with their jobs like the rest of us.

What difference does it make who abuses who? Domestic abuse is domestic abuse.

It's the inference that it is football, and Rangers and them in particular, who are solely to blame and nothing else.

What constitutes and "Incident" ?

For example, I had a good friend who was harrassed by his ex wife over the course of a week. She kept coming to his new flat wanting to get in etc., each time he refused, she called the police. He was lifted 6 times that week for doing nothing apart from refusing his former wife entry to his new home. Meanwhile that accounted for 10 incidents of domestic abuse even though he was never charged and got to know the embarrassed, local police.

Of these 142 reported incidents, how many were considered trivial or serious, was it one person reporting the same incident 142 times or was it 142 people each making individual reports ?

Statistics can make you believe anything.

Scotland has a population of about 5 million. There were 142 incidents reported. This represents about 0.6 of the population.

How's that for a statistic !!!!!!

That's one way of portraying a statistic if you wanted to slant it the other way.

BTW I left out the fact that it was 142 in Strathclyde, not the whole of Scotland. BUT, like the press, it wasn't a lie.

Statistics can make you believe anything.

Scotland has a population of about 5 million. There were 142 incidents reported. This represents about 0.6 of the population.

How's that for a statistic !!!!!!

That's one way of portraying a statistic if you wanted to slant it the other way.

It's definitely an extremely small problem and not a big one as portrayed by the police. Work it out for Strathclyde alone which has a population of more than 2.5 million. Take into account that each 'incident' will normally involve 2 people, so lets say it's about 284 people -

284 / 2500000 x 100 = 0.01136 %

If you round it off slightly, it works out at roughly one in every nine thousand people are involved in a so-called domestic abuse 'incident' on a day where hundreds of thousands of people are getting drunk.