Aston Villa want Steven Naismith

ASTON VILLA are preparing a swoop for Rangers ace Stevie Naismith â?? as the champions tighten their title stranglehold.

Goals from Nikica Jelavic and Gregg Wylde dumped Kilmarnock last night.

The 2-0 win sent Gers seven points clear of rivals Celtic.

Naismith sat the game out as he served the first of a two-match ban for elbowing Dunfermline's Austin McCann in Saturday's 4-0 win in Fife.

Now SunSport can reveal that ex-Rangers boss Alex McLeish is desperate to wrest Scotland star Naisy away from his old club when the transfer window reopens in January.

It is understood that Eck enquired about Naismith just as the last transfer window closed but was given no encouragement by Gers gaffer Ally McCoist.

Now he's ready to return in the New Year with a bid to lure Naisy to the Premier League.

The Gers and Scotland ace has four years left on his current deal â?? but that won't put Eck off.

Naismith has already scored nine goals for club and country this season, notching twice against Pars at the weekend.

McCoist, meanwhile, has reiterated his call for fairness from the SFA.

He wants transparency from the Hampden hierarcy, with the SFA's new compliance officer Will Cole acted against Naismith on video evidence.

McCoist said: "We've won the game.

"I'm not going to say we didn't miss him.

"I'd far rather he was in the squad, I'm a lot happier when he's in the squad and in the team.

"We're still not sure who has banned Steven.

"It's not a problem because we've accepted it but it would be nice to know who's behind the decision."

Gers are now on course to go ten points clear of Celtic after their eighth straight league win.

They will reach that daunting lead if they beat Hibs on Saturday afternoon ahead of Celtic's tough away trip to Hearts on Sunday.

Rangers' Kirk Broadfoot and Killie captain Manuel Pascali clashed in the tunnel last night.

Both were booked with Kilmarnock boss Kenny Shiels later referring to Broadfoot as "the ugly boy from Rangers" in a bizarre radio interview.

Shiels went on to describe Broadfoot as a male model from Ayrshire whose mascara had run.

McCoist played down the incident, saying: "It was handbags. I played here for 15 years and that wouldn't rate in the top 25 tunnel incidents.

"I'm not trying to play it down but it was absolutely nothing. I saw the whole thing. It was like two boys in the playground."

Shiels also back-tracked later in the evening claiming his comments had been taken out of context.

He said: "I was just trying to have a bit of fun in the interview.

"There was nothing in the incident but the fourth official saw the incident and they were booked on the say-so of him."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3840453/Aston-Villa-want-Steven-Naismith.html#ixzz1ZCM4fi81

"Both were booked with Kilmarnock boss Kenny Shiels later referring to Broadfoot as "the ugly boy from Rangers" in a bizarre radio interview."

Is this the same Kenny Shiels whose son, unfortunately, only has one eye ? A bit ironic to call Broadfoot ugly one would think.....

"Both were booked with Kilmarnock boss Kenny Shiels later referring to Broadfoot as "the ugly boy from Rangers" in a bizarre radio interview."

Is this the same Kenny Shiels whose son, unfortunately, only has one eye ? A bit ironic to call Broadfoot ugly one would think.....

I heard that interview on the radio coming back in the car,crazy man

Scottish media starting early this year trying to sell all our players, why is this even a story the window is closed till Jan anybody tells me there isnt an agenda when it comes to us is blind and deaf.

Eck can do one as well he's not for sale.

Another good win for the champions,move 7 points clear in the league = negative story in media

Richard Gordon's subsequent question, after the interview had finished, asking if Kenny had a mirror is fairly relevant.