Gregg Wylde - thoughts?

Just want to get your views on Wylde. I think since he's came into the team has made that left wing position his own and gives us a much better balance. He also gives support to our left back as well whether it be Papac or Lee Wallace and I think that given time he could be a really important player for us.

The reason I'm asking this question is that despite him playing well there's been a few guys moaning about him around me at Ibrox usually because of his inconsistent crossing and in the past few games it's been getting worse, which I simply don't understand.

I'm sure his crossing can still be worked on but I think he is improving all the time and if he improve his consistency he will either be a regular for a good few years or make us a good few quid when he moves on.

I actually think his delivery has been getting better with the consistent run in the team. It cant be perfect all the time but just look at his crossing in the OF game and look at his set piece deliveries too.

I think he is quickly turning into an important 1st team player - and that progress should only continue with games and increased confidence. He has made the LM position his own, which is a good thing considering it has been a problem position for us for a few years. Also means we shouldnt have to play guys out of position there, guys like Lafferty who are blatantly not LM's.

Whilst on the question of LM I actually think that we have good cover there too because I think that Wallace could also do job there if Wylde got injured, suspended, jaded or suffers loss of form.

His crossing (and decision-making) can be weak but I think it is improving as his overall distribution.

One has to remember that a winger is also reliant on his strikers making the correct runs. For example, against Killie, I thought Ortiz did very well and got into some great positions (in the first half especially). His crossing wasn't great from there though but neither were the runs from Jelavic and Lafferty.

Generally, I think Wylde is a great option to have because he can do the defensive job pretty well also. This, along with his pace, gives us good balance on the left hand side and while there is plenty room for improvement, the lad is doing a decent job.

I think his crossing is criminally under rated by many and for me it's a myth to say he can't cross it.

He has electric pace which itself is how he beats men - admittedly he isn't naturally a skillful winger who uses trickery to go past his man, but with pace like that you don't need to as long as the distribution to him uses him properly. If you want an effective attack from him, give him something to run onto, not something behind him.

I like him, and would have him in every week.

Guest Dutchy

I'm a supporter of Wylde and have been throughout the gripes about his crossing.

He is doing better now, which I predicted he would.

The diffirence I've noticed is he used to run like the clappers at defenders and reached the by-line all too soon and was then forced into makeing the pass, which wasn't all that great, but not everytime. He now seems to be making to run to the by-line, but halts and turns inside giving him a bit of space and time to cross from a more standing postion instead of trying it while haring down the wing.

I like what he's been doing and I'm confident he will get his wing runs and crossing right in the future.

I think his crossing is criminally under rated by many and for me it's a myth to say he can't cross it.

He has electric pace which itself is how he beats men - admittedly he isn't naturally a skillful winger who uses trickery to go past his man, but with pace like that you don't need to as long as the distribution to him uses him properly. If you want an effective attack from him, give him something to run onto, not something behind him.

I like him, and would have him in every week.

I agree with you mate about his crossing. Would love to see how many assists he has since he's came into the team. Another gripe some of the clowns that sit next to me have is that he can only beat a man through his pace and no trickery?? No wonder I'm thinkin of changing seats. Wylde just needs half a yard to swing in a decent ball.

Guest Dutchy
I've even seen him cross well with his right foot. *gasp*

And, I've just seen the highlights and he was having more than his share of cracks at goal. I'd read in the papers that he was woefully over, but it was better than the papers indicated. Even though he didn't score, he looks a goal threat also, and with 2 already this season, what's the betting he could get into double figures this year?

He has shown an increased confidence to take on the right back which is good to see.

I wouldn't go overboard on his performances yet but he definitely deserves to be first choice at the moment. Hopefully he can build on it and improve further with an extended run in the team.

Would love to see how many assists he has since he's came into the team.

He got 5 assists in 15 SPL games last season (only actually started in 9 of the 15 games) with most of the assists coming in the last handful of games of the season. So far this season he's got 3 assists and 2 goals in 10 games (only actually started in 7 of the 10 games).

I think he's doing extremely well, but I think he'll have some competition for that left midfield place from both Wallace and McKay. Competition for a position is healthy though.