Jelavic: Old Firm demolition showed Gers are the best

Nikica Jelavic has told Celtic they are up against it as Rangers attempt to drive on to a fourth successive title â?? because he believes they are better than their great rivals.

The Ibrox side have opened up a significant chasm between themselves and Neil Lennonâ??s side as Celtic have stumbled in recent weeks.

Rangers are currently 10 points better off than the Hoops, albeit having played a game more.

Psychologically the manner of Rangersâ?? victory in the opening Old Firm derby of the season has left his mark on the Parkhead side and Jelavic believes that Rangers are ready to hammer home their advantage.

â??Between us and Celtic, I think we are the better team and we showed that in our game with them last month,â? said the forward. â??We just destroyed them.

â??Last season, that wasnâ??t the case and I donâ??t think we were as ruthless as we were against them recently at Ibrox. Losing 2-1 at half-time, our confidence was down a little bit and it was not easy to pick ourselves back up again.â?

He added: â??But in the second half, we scored three times and the final score could have been even more than it was. We showed good team spirit and we let everybody see we are a team which can go on to win the title because we are better than Celtic.

â??Our squad is bigger and stronger than last season. We are in front at the moment and that is good but the competition is long and we must keep going.

â??I feel we will do that. It was an unbelievable feeling to beat Celtic the way we did and I want to keep doing that right up to next May.â?

Jelavic hit 19 goals for Rangers last season, despite spending a chunk of the campaign in the treatment room.

However, he has not yet set himself a target of how many he wants to hit this term, although he does have one ambition in the scoring stakes â?? to make sure he is the top marksman at the club.

â??I could say that I want to score 20 goals but then it puts pressure on yourself and it doesnâ??t make sense to think about that too much,â? he told Rangers Monthly.

â??I like scoring goals all the time and I always want to be the top goalscorer. I want to get more goals than Steven Naismith and Kyle Lafferty put together.â?

There was an opportunity for Jelavic to move away from Ibrox this summer with Leicester and Fenerbahce both looking at him. However, the forward will stay at Rangers, at least for now.

â??There was a good offer from Leicester, but that is not a club I want to move on to if I am to leave,â? he said. â??Fenerbahceâ??s proposal was really interesting but I wanted to stay at Rangers because we have a very good chance of winning the title again this season.

â??For me, the best league in Europe is in England and I would like to play there one day, although Spain and Germany are also very attractive.â?

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/jelavic-old-firm-demolition-showed-gers-are-the-best-1.1128055

Hmmmmm, it's the truth but I wish he'd have kept his mouth shut.

Celtic players are bad for this and we often use it to our advantage.

That's the difference between us and them though,plus many other things:),is that we walk the walk.

Guest Dutchy

As long as Rangers take advantage of a poor septic, at the moment, we can easily extend our lead for the time we may have a down turn, but as septic are bad when they're bad, and we're good(winners anyway) when we're bad, who is to say that septic will claw back our advantage?

It's true that what Chris Sutton says could happen, but it's just as easy, and more likely that what I say could happen.

What's the problem?

I know what you are saying but he has probably been asked about this in Croatia and he gave his opinion. Doubt he would be allowed to here, you have got to wind them up here and there though. There comments are pathetically desperate, they keep writing us off but we keep winning :spl:

For me the most important thing is that Lennon seems to have lost his Leg end status in the Celtic dressing room with Commons, Loovens, Kayal all showing signs of not really wanting to be at the club. The support is slowly turning on him as well and the board won't sack him in the middle of the season,if at all. The back-door bhoys look one step away from meltdown. I am kneel Lemon.:grin:

Same here don't like our players mouthing off in the papers, but at least he's telling the truth.

You are shite Celtic.

Could be paper mis-quoting.. the comment "we just destroyed them" was not enclosed in quotations. This suggests to me it was just added. Take this into consideration "& what he said isn't cocky at all.

It actually is in quotes...

Could be paper mis-quoting.. the comment "we just destroyed them" was not enclosed in quotations. This suggests to me it was just added. Take this into consideration "& what he said isn't cocky at all.

It's just a typo by someone forgetting to close the quote. The inclusion of the word 'we' suggests that it was a direct quote and it probably was, but Jela isn't telling any porkies because we DID destroy them in the second half. They obviously expected to come out to face the same Rangers in the 2nd half, but they came out to face a superior opponent.