We need free speech for all â?? even bigots

GovanAllan makes a fair point. We all know who started all this - and how they loved it when it was open season on us. The backlash on this Bill has only started in earnest when they realised that they were going to be targeted too - which they are, and will be. The days of the IRAoke are drawing to a close.

What they want now is a return to the grey area they had before. Shout the loudest, be offended the most. Write to UEFA, FARE etc etc and call the sectarian card, while remembering to play the "it's purely political" one.

Nope. Pandora time. The box is about to open, never to be shut.

Lots have said it. Reap what ye sow. Or in other words, those who live by the sword, die by the sword.

I don't disagree at all, but at the same time I want to be able to go to Ibrox & not have to walk on eggshells in fear of being ejected. So the sooner everything is resolved the better.

GovanAllan makes a fair point. We all know who started all this - and how they loved it when it was open season on us. The backlash on this Bill has only started in earnest when they realised that they were going to be targeted too - which they are, and will be. The days of the IRAoke are drawing to a close.

What they want now is a return to the grey area they had before. Shout the loudest, be offended the most. Write to UEFA, FARE etc etc and call the sectarian card, while remembering to play the "it's purely political" one.

Nope. Pandora time. The box is about to open, never to be shut.

Lots have said it. Reap what ye sow. Or in other words, those who live by the sword, die by the sword.

Parity and fairness is what we all hoped for if any new legislation was going to be introduced, but I've got serious doubts if that's what we're going to get.

Precedents are already being set before this Bill is even passed.

Celtic fan punches a steward at Tynecastle in the middle of what can only really be classed as a riot by Celtic fans and gets a £1000 fine & no banning order, but this guy Birrell posts some anti-catholic and anti-f*nian comments online and gets jailed for 8 months plus a 5 year banning order?

Then we've got Salmond holding private meetings with catholic priests resulting in 'agreements' over freedom of speech?

Am I missing something here or are we maybe getting stitched up AGAIN??

Edited by Zappa

Parity and fairness is what we all hoped for if any new legislation was going to be introduced, but I've got serious doubts if that's what we're going to get.

Precedents are already being set before this Bill is even passed.

Celtic fan punches a steward at Tynecastle in the middle of what can only really be classed as a riot by Celtic fans and gets a £1000 fine & no banning order, but this guy Birrell posts some anti-catholic and anti-f*nian comments online and gets jailed for 8 months plus a 5 year banning order?

The we've got Salmond holding private meetings with catholic priests resulting in 'agreements' over freedom of speech?

Am I missing something here or are we maybe getting stitched up AGAIN??

That for me Zappa is the bigger point you raise this wasn't just one nut job losing the head and punching a steward. This was about 50 fans going by the you tube clip, on a riot. Now I might be wrong but if that was us at say Hivs we would have been pounded by the authorities many charged and the club fined. Remember a young ballboy also got sconed that night as well but what do we get from the powers that be silence. And from the state TV station oh we missed it.

That for me Zappa is the bigger point you raise this wasn't just one nut job losing the head and punching a steward. This was about 50 fans going by the you tube clip, on a riot. Now I might be wrong but if that was us at say Hivs we would have been pounded by the authorities many charged and the club fined. Remember a young ballboy also got sconed that night as well but what do we get from the powers that be silence. And from the state TV station oh we missed it.

Add to that the hundreds (maybe into the thousands) of fans shouting "IRA, IRA, IRA......" as well as their usual reportoire. Nothing done about it.

Yeah Zappa.

Noted this today too Bizarre when the crime of thought is punished more than physical assault. I do think a lot of this will even itself out over time. Sheriff's are a notoriously fickle breed, but still subject to ECHR notions of proportionality.

Yeah Zappa.

Noted this today too Bizarre when the crime of thought is punished more than physical assault. I do think a lot of this will even itself out over time. Sheriff's are a notoriously fickle breed, but still subject to ECHR notions of proportionality.

Well, it hasn't evened itself out so far! Not only that, but we've been done by UEFA now on numerous occassions and Celtic have never been done by UEFA for their fans singing so-called 'political' songs despite political songs and messages at matches being against UEFA regulations.

As I see it the bill is to be introduced to cut out bigotry in this country. Having draconian laws and punishment will indeed have some effect, but it will not have the total effect the politicians desire.

If you want to reduce sectarism in Scotland, you have to look at the causes, and the seperate schools issue is the main reason for this problem continuing to blight our country. But it seems to be the only detail not to be disscussed in the present environment.

Unless this was one of the disscussion points between Salmond and the preist in his private chats. It does not present itself as either open, nor democratic. I suspect there will be many, many more convictions.

Crickey! I still here older guys calling players 'black bastards'.

It's like discussing the weather without mentioning the rain Dutchy. You can't have a serious debate on sectarianism without bringing up the schools the biggest enabler of said problem. The RC church has far too much power in this country and until The Kirk gets aff it's arse and gets involved in this debate nothing will change.

There power will only increase as well if that fat slug actually manages to drag us into independence. Of course I noticed he's moving the goalposts on the vote we will now be able to vote for max devo instead of full independence.

It's like discussing the weather without mentioning the rain Dutchy. You can't have a serious debate on sectarianism without bringing up the schools the biggest enabler of said problem. The RC church has far too much power in this country and until The Kirk gets aff it's arse and gets involved in this debate nothing will change.

There power will only increase as well if that fat slug actually manages to drag us into independence. Of course I noticed he's moving the goalposts on the vote we will now be able to vote for max devo instead of full independence.

Who's Max Devo?

The matches and parades need to stop as well, there needs to be give and take as much as it would be hard to swallow. Unfortunately however the Catholic Church aren't interested in give and take and integration, they more than ever want to tighten their grip on the souls in their possession. As an Atheist I feel no shame for any negative feelings towards Catholicism, in the same way that I am proud and vocal about my disdain for all organised religion and this is the way to tackle these people. Stop with the Auto Proddy response, if you don't go to Church and practice the Protestant religion stop attaching yourself to it. Let them be the bigots against all non-Catholics.