We need free speech for all â?? even bigots

Did he spend 4 months in prison before it was dropped? I thought the Times had reported at one point that he was on bail until the trial. Well, even still, 8 months for trash talk compared to 4 months for attempted assault (no matter how much I dislike the person) isn't fair.

Actually as soon as I typed that I remembered that the guy who attacked Lemon was charged for religiously aggravated assault, but they couldnt prove it was motivated by religion. Which is why it was all dropped. If they had charged him with assault I'm sure he would have been punished.

Sorry Bluedell. :P

Actually as soon as I typed that I remembered that the guy who attacked Lemon was charged for religiously aggravated assault, but they couldnt prove it was motivated by religion. Which is why it was all dropped. If they had charged him with assault I'm sure he would have been punished.

Sorry Bluedell. :P

Yeah, he had pled guilty to assault but was eventually found guilty of BOTP and sentenced to 8 months so he was punished. ;)

So this guy thinks it's free speech for a Republican sympathiser to come to Scotland and shout "up the ra" ? so by extension i could travel to his home and shout "FTP" and "kill all Catholics" and he would be happy about me doing it?

No, he doesn't think it is alright, the point is about point scoring & fairness in sentencing.

The only fairness these pricks want is all rangers fans done for anything while they carry on willynilly. They started all this, I couldn't have gave a flying fhuck what they sang at me because I sang straight back them.

But no they get the perma offended head on, and politicians involved and all was going so well until the light was cast on them and low and behold they didn't like. Well tough titty ya shower of inbreed mutants welcome to the world of your own making, I hope you all rot in hell for trying to destroy the game I love.

Spending over 4 months in prison is hardly going unpunished.

He'll have been well-protected, comfortable, entertained and fed 3 square meals per day on the same daily food budget that's given to our armed forces. I'm not saying it would be easy being locked up though and I don't think the guy Birrell should have been locked up either.

You say there should be a line drawn somewhere, but who gets to decide where the line is? Idiotic politicians with so little real power they're forced into making secret freedom of speech deals at private meetings with Catholic priests to ensure the Celtic fans are allowed to sing their pro-IRA bile?

Edited by Zappa

GovanAllan makes a fair point. We all know who started all this - and how they loved it when it was open season on us. The backlash on this Bill has only started in earnest when they realised that they were going to be targeted too - which they are, and will be. The days of the IRAoke are drawing to a close.

What they want now is a return to the grey area they had before. Shout the loudest, be offended the most. Write to UEFA, FARE etc etc and call the sectarian card, while remembering to play the "it's purely political" one.

Nope. Pandora time. The box is about to open, never to be shut.

Lots have said it. Reap what ye sow. Or in other words, those who live by the sword, die by the sword.