A tax tribunal which could decide the immediate future of Rangers Football Club has resumed.

STV can reveal the hearing, known as a First Tier Tribunal, reconvened on Monday between the club and HM Revenue and Customs.

Rangers are challenging a bill for £35m in back taxes, as well as £14m in penalties, over their use of an Employee Benefit Trust (EBT) to pay players between 2001 and 2010.

Her Majesty's Courts and Tribunal Service has confirmed that the hearing has resumed. It is understood that five days, four this week and one next week, have been allocated for the latest hearing.

Rangers have declined to comment on the hearing. Their owner, Craig Whyte, has previously conceded that administration could be an option for the club if they were unsuccessful.

John Cairns, convenor of the taxation committee for the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland, agreed that was a possibility.

He said: â??If the club loses, probably the most likely scenario is going into administration to get rid of this enormous debt.

â??By the sound of it thereâ??s a chance of HMRC pursuing this quite vigorously because we have a high profile tax payer here.

â??Itâ??s the same way as they pursued Lester Piggott and Ken Dodd a few years ago, to make an example.â?

HMRC also declined to comment on the proceedings specifically but warned keeping businesses afloat which do not pay taxes was not their concern.

A spokeswoman told STV: "We are unable to discuss individual cases due to taxpayer confidentiality.

"HMRC has an outstanding track record in supporting those who are experiencing genuine difficulty paying their tax debts, and does not initiate legal proceedings against any business lightly.

"HMRC only initiates administration, winding up or bankruptcy action where it believes this is the best course of action to protect the interests of the Exchequer.

"There is little HMRC can do for a business whose viability is dependent on not paying the UK taxes to which they are liable.

Rather ironic the stance from HMRC.

They may not be keeping businesses afloat who dont pay their taxes.... but they WILL use taxpayer money to keep other businesses afloat who, although they paid their taxes, risked their very existence with ridiculous investment strategies.

Ach, I guess those banks are more important than Rangers though....

Rather ironic the stance from HMRC.

And they have owed me a small sum in overpaid PAYE and NIC since May; it took them 3 months even to acknowledge the claim and another 2 to confirm it was valid and still no repayment. If I owed tax for 6 months they'd have the Sheriff Officers at my door but there seems to be nothing an individual or individual company can do to fight back. I have sent the papers to my MP.

On a sidenote, this is not the Tax Case started, but continued. According to some FFers, this is the third sitting, as the previous two ran out of time.

You do wonder who leaked all the information. You do see the reasoning of HMRC here, essentially, it is law enforcement and they have to do it. Whether the law they want to enforce is actually applicable is the hairy bit ...

Anyways, while Whyte said that he is / we are in daily discussions with HMRC, he also stated that administration is still only "Plan D" on his agenda. So one would hope that there are decent enough back-up options about.

And they have owed me a small sum in overpaid PAYE and NIC since May; it took them 3 months even to acknowledge the claim and another 2 to confirm it was valid and still no repayment. If I owed tax for 6 months they'd have the Sheriff Officers at my door but there seems to be nothing an individual or individual company can do to fight back. I have sent the papers to my MP.

You need a good accountant.... none of those on here ;)